ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sand, sand, sand

Default sand, sand, sand

I've been reading lots of posts regarding sand. I'd like to get some feedback on what and where to purchase fine nearly white sand. I'd rather not have to purchase sand made for the aquarium trade (too expensive). I'd love to hear what everyone else recommends.

Default Re: sand, sand, sand

Quote Originally Posted by mteel7237 View Post
    I've been reading lots of posts regarding sand. I'd like to get some feedback on what and where to purchase fine nearly white sand. I'd rather not have to purchase sand made for the aquarium trade (too expensive). I'd love to hear what everyone else recommends.
    Pool filter sand and get it at walmart you get a 40lb bag for $5 and some change I believe.
    My wife names my fish

Registered Member

I bought a 50lb bag of playsand from Lowes yesterday for $2.99

Quote Originally Posted by lenver View Post
    I bought a 50lb bag of playsand from Lowes yesterday for $2.99
    I thought there was a thread on here not to long ago that said not to use playsand because it was clay based and would compact to much.
    My wife names my fish

Quote Originally Posted by ZX10R View Post
    Pool filter sand and get it at walmart you get a 40lb bag for $5 and some change I believe.
    +1. 50lb bag of pool filter sand from Leslie's cost me $10. What size tank are you putting it in? Also, try to keep the sand thickness less than 1".
    -Luke

65gal RR w/ 20 gal sump, 6 Curipera X's from Kenny!

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZX10R View Post
    I thought there was a thread on here not to long ago that said not to use playsand because it was clay based and would compact to much.
    playsand is not clay based, its quartz based and finer than pool filter sand. some people don't like it cuz its too fine, I've always used playsand with no problems. Rinse very well before you put into tank, keep a few cories that stir it up constantly and you'll be just fine.
    Mark

Real Name
    Zach

Just my input. I'll have to disagree with everyone else. I used pool filter sand and sure it was 50lb for like 5 bucks but it sucked imo. It always got into water column and was a pain to clean. I now have new sand I got from petsmart made for aquariums that you can get into I believe 7 different colors/sizes and it is made to hold trash on top, I always had thinks stuck inside my pfs and now it sits on top. It was 2$ more for a 20lb bag and it covered my 75g completely and 1/2 inch thick. I wouldnt and won't ever use pfs again. Plus its ph neutral so it won't raise it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    -Zach

Real Name
    Zach

Super naturals carribsea gold is the name of it.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by m3h3c3 View Post
    playsand is not clay based, its quartz based and finer than pool filter sand. some people don't like it cuz its too fine, I've always used playsand with no problems. Rinse very well before you put into tank, keep a few cories that stir it up constantly and you'll be just fine.
    I was just reading everyones responses on Pat's thread and only two people said not to use playsand one being Hans. Everyone else said it was fine. Here is the tread

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...light=playsand

Quote Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
    Super naturals carribsea gold is the name of it.

I have this in one of my tanks and it does cost more but I am very happy with it also.
    My wife names my fish

Quote Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
    Just my input. I'll have to disagree with everyone else. I used pool filter sand and sure it was 50lb for like 5 bucks but it sucked imo. It always got into water column and was a pain to clean. I now have new sand I got from petsmart made for aquariums that you can get into I believe 7 different colors/sizes and it is made to hold trash on top, I always had thinks stuck inside my pfs and now it sits on top. It was 2$ more for a 20lb bag and it covered my 75g completely and 1/2 inch thick. I wouldnt and won't ever use pfs again. Plus its ph neutral so it won't raise it.

I guess there is more than one type of pool sand out there. Mine stays on the bottom, is fairly easy to clean, and didn't change my pH one bit. If it's worth noting, I do have pretty hard water.
    -Luke

65gal RR w/ 20 gal sump, 6 Curipera X's from Kenny!

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAg View Post
    I guess there is more than one type of pool sand out there. Mine stays on the bottom, is fairly easy to clean, and didn't change my pH one bit. If it's worth noting, I do have pretty hard water.
    Idk, I think mine was just ****. It almost looks like dry oatmeal if you will lol. It doesn't look like sand....

-Zach

Just goes to show us - there is 'real', commonly used PFS (for swimming pool filters), play sands, and specialty sands sold @ many LFS's - and they are not created equal, as they say. Some sands sold @ Big Box stores as PFS are not PFS at all. And some play sands are very dirty, dusty, and require tons of rinsing, not to be mention of a different granular size, density & color of true PFS, and are, to one extent or another, not very suitable for aquarium use, despite being harmless for fish & plants. Many aquarists I know, particularly discus keepers, use only white silica PFS bought @ a pool/spa supply store, after having been quite dissatisfied with other sands they have tried.

This is the sand that I just bought last week. I did give it a very good rinsing before adding it to the tank. Bought it at my local pool supply place for $10 for a 50lb bag.

This is what it looks like after a couple of days in the tank.

Real Name
    Zach

Kinda what mine looked like

-Zach

And that's the way true PFS should look like. You got the right product.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast