ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sand, sand, sand

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    And that's the way true PFS should look like. You got the right product.
    Well I got the right stuff, I just don't know why it did what it did.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    -Zach

Default Re: sand, sand, sand

Well sorry, I don't either - and I havent heard of one other person who's had an experience similar to yours with PFS. All I can say is, try it again sometime if you want to, but get your sand from another supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
    Super naturals carribsea gold is the name of it.

I was looking at that sand, once it is in the tank and filled with water, how close to white is it. Or is it more of a gold / tan color like the names suggests.

Thnks

Real Name
    Zach

Goldish , very realistic- looks like river bottom

-Zach

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

I have the caribsea sunset gold in one of my tanks and love it! It's a nice soft golden color and doesn't cloud the water at all.

Here's a pic of it in daylight. It look darker and more golden with less light in the tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Real Name
    Zach

Well I must say after doing everything I did my water still got back like it was.... It was clear for maybe a day, perhaps its the brine shrimp and bh?

-Zach

If you specifically want "white" sand, you will most likely pay more for it. I use play sand from Home Depot and also Estes sand, but the Estes is definitely worth the price if you know where to buy it. PM me and I can look up a link to check current pricing if you're interested. I believe I paid $17.99/25lbs with free shipping when I got mine. The cool thing about Estes sand is that is looks like snow...has more texture to it. Just my personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by mteel7237 View Post
    I've been reading lots of posts regarding sand. I'd like to get some feedback on what and where to purchase fine nearly white sand. I'd rather not have to purchase sand made for the aquarium trade (too expensive). I'd love to hear what everyone else recommends.

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

I bought some Quick Crete brand sand at HD. It was about $2.50 a 50 pound bag. It was pure white but very fine. I peaked in the bags before I bought it to make sure it was white.
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

Real Name
    Zach

David, what would you think the reason was for me always having particles in my water. Even after reducing the flow by using only one canister and changing all water/ sand in tank I still always have bad water. I have a black background so it really sticks out.... I was thinking maybe to just take black paint off and go with a dull white or something. No matter what I do my water always has what looks to me like grains of salt or sand. Obviously it isn't salt but it should give you a good mental picture.

-Zach

I have a black background in my sand bottom tank and like the contrast. I've had no issues with grainy looking water. Is there something causing the sand to be stirred up... return water flow, secondary aeration system etc? I'm assuming it was rinsed thoroughly before you added to your tank? If none of these fit...I'm stumped for the moment; unless, it has nothing to do with the sand at all.

PS: I will add that I turn off my filters when I clean and do water changes to ensure that no sand gets sucked into the filters. If that's a possibility, you may want to do the same and do a routine cleaning of your filters to get out any accumulated sand that might be recycling.
    Last edited by David Rose; 07-21-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    PS: I will add that I turn off my filters when I clean and do water changes to ensure that no sand gets sucked into the filters. If that's a possibility, you may want to do the same and do a routine cleaning of your filters to get out any accumulated sand that might be recycling.
    When I turn off filters to wc and then back on it shoots A LOT of crap into my water. Like white stringy things.

-Zach

Definitely overdue for routine maintenance on your filter(s). Tubing included. Let me know if you have any questions on the "how tos". Once a month cleaning is average.

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    Definitely overdue for routine maintenance on your filter(s). Tubing included. Let me know if you have any questions on the "how tos". Once a month cleaning is average.
    Ok well I've got some question on how tos lol. I clean out the pre filter pad inside and on intake but never tubing or media

-Zach

That's good for a weekly routine, but once a month I would recommend taking everything out of your canisters and wiping down the inside canister chamber with paper towel and rinsing with non-chlorinated water/tank water. Rinse canister sponges. I find if I submerge them in non-chlorinated water and squeeze them to remove internal particle build-up. Usually I have to dump the water to get new and continue a second time until I can see that the water stays pretty clean. I use a dedicated five gallon Home Depot painter's bucket for this and fill about halfway. You can use old tank water from a water change.

As for your tubing, there are various sized bristle (bottle washer) brushes both diameter and length. Don't forget your spray bar, if used. All these on a quarterly basis usually keeps you from getting gunk kick back.

As for white stringy things... I have to wonder if this is Planaria or Stylaria (spelling?), which are little white worms residing in your filters feeding off decaying food. If they squiggle about in your water, I suspect that is what you have. Pretty common, but a better maintenance routine will help rid you of them. They're harmless btw.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast