ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sand, sand, sand

Real Name
    Zach

No no its not worms but more like beefheart or gunk just white. Sometimes brown lol and I do what I told you only every two or three weeks. My canister only has one actual pad in it and that one pre filter thing. I use the eheim ecco pro easy 80.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    -Zach

Default Re: sand, sand, sand

I'm not familiar with the Ecco, but Eheim, Fluval, Rena XP series are my top picks in brands so you should be good. You're using two of these Ecco's? From what I can see they have three media baskets and the fine and carbon pads sit on top?

If you're using two of these canisters, I think two media/substrate baskets are sufficient (two each canister) and fill the top basket with the "carbon pads" or preferably medium to course sponge with the fine filter on top. These sponges will trap more debris that can be rinsed out once a month or more often depending on your feeding quantities. In the end, I think you'll get clearer water.

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Ecco, but Eheim, Fluval, Rena XP series are my top picks in brands so you should be good. You're using two of these Ecco's? From what I can see they have three media baskets and the fine and carbon pads sit on top?

If you're using two of these canisters, I think two media/substrate baskets are sufficient (two each canister) and fill the top basket with the "carbon pads" or preferably medium to course sponge with the fine filter on top. These sponges will trap more debris that can be rinsed out once a month or more often depending on your feeding quantities. In the end, I think you'll get clearer water.
    Well I removed one of them, they do have three baskets with a fine pad inside top tray then on top of the media container its a course " prefilter" its not dense like a regular padding. Also it has no carbon pad which is good I guess for no hole in head.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
    David, what would you think the reason was for me always having particles in my water. Even after reducing the flow by using only one canister and changing all water/ sand in tank I still always have bad water. I have a black background so it really sticks out.... I was thinking maybe to just take black paint off and go with a dull white or something. No matter what I do my water always has what looks to me like grains of salt or sand. Obviously it isn't salt but it should give you a good mental picture.

It's the brine shrimp. I've said that all along. Anything bigger than small fry don't eat half of it, and it goes everywhere. Anything else in there is probally just fine bubbles.
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 07-21-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    Darrell

Real Name
    Zach

Well I re did my filters. I took media from first basket on the pro 80g and put into bottom of 2213. The first basket now contains filter floss, three layers of coarse filter pads and then a fine filter pad. The rest of the 2213 is one filter pad then stuffed with floss. I also stopped feeding brine shrimp so just tetra granules and bw and I've cut back on portions and times per day. So far its looking better but its only been about 5 hours. Also put back the powerglo light instead of led and wow how much more color the fish have.

-Zach

Do you use pre-filter sponges on your intake tubes?

Real Name
    Zach

Do you use pre-filter sponges on your intake tubes?
    Yes but they are coarse. I don't think they catch sand but now I have this white fungus looking stuff on my dw and anytime the fish pick at it, it spreads in water also.

-Zach

Clarification please:

1. whats "dw"?
    2. both filters have 2 trays media substrate and 1 tray sponge/floss?
    3. is the white fungus decaying food?
    4. is water column showing any signs of improvement in clarity with the addition of mechanical filtration?

Clarification please:

1. whats "dw"?
    4. is water column showing any signs of improvement in clarity with the addition of mechanical filtration?
    dw - driftwood
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Clarification please:

1. whats "dw"?
    New driftwood sometimes develops a white fungus on the surface of the wood, while ugly I understand it is harmless.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Zach

To answer questions. Warlock got driftwood for ya, one canister has two trays media and third all pads/floss and the other just has media from tray three dumped into it. It wasn't being used rember and then the rest of its area is filled with floss. After 24 hours the water is starting to clear up but still has those small particles. The mold isn't decaying food as its forming on the one largest piece of driftwood I have even after being washed off. Overnight at that.

-Zach

I am a little confused here. If using sand for palnted tank, what the thickness it should have. 2-4" as recommended for general plants?? or less 1'' as mentioned here? will 1" give palnt roots enough space??

Real Name
    Zach

The only reason you use little is to ease cleaning in biotope. A discus biotope normally won't contain plants so its not an issue

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
    The only reason you use little is to ease cleaning in biotope. A discus biotope normally won't contain plants so its not an issue

So you mean sand is intended to be used as substrates for a planted tank?

Real Name
    Zach

You can use anything you want.. pay top dollar for Ada soils or pfs. I had plants growing in pfs greatly. It just depends on what you are growing.

-Zach

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast