AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have u guys use these sand before?

Default Re: Have u guys use these sand before?

pool filter sand is what i use. haven't tried other sand so can't tell much. :-)

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

I used a little over 20lbs of the caribsea for my 115g tank. It was about a half inch deep, so 40 pounds would have given me an inch of substrate. My tank dimensions are 48"x18". So adjust the amount you put in your tank to only reach one inch in height. I think 15 bags is too much, but you can always use the extra to fill in should you end up siphoning some out as you vacuum (I did that a LOT..lol)

I just got rid of my sand because with 9 growing, hungry discus it was just too much work to keep the sand looking clean and to not suck it all up while I stood there carefully hovering the siphon tube over the sand...blech.

Much easier to just suck the poop and food bits right off the glass bottom. Done in 5 minutes! I do think the sand substrate looks awesome though and I'll add it back later on when my discus are adults and not eating so much and so often.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Back to my double standards, but I think comfort requirements are different between wild Discus and domestic discus....especially in matters of food and substrate, and age of fish....
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

I use Carib-Sea in my wild tank. yes it's expensive, but I would'nt trade it for any other. this sand will not cloud the water no matter what. I usually vacuum about 1/2 lb. with every wc using a python. I have a bucket under the faucet. when I'm done I just dump the sand back in. the way my discus kick up the sand this stuff is worth every penny. it's pricey, but it's not like your buying it every week.

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by 3dees View Post
    I use Carib-Sea in my wild tank. yes it's expensive, but I would'nt trade it for any other. this sand will not cloud the water no matter what. I usually vacuum about 1/2 lb. with every wc using a python. I have a bucket under the faucet. when I'm done I just dump the sand back in. the way my discus kick up the sand this stuff is worth every penny. it's pricey, but it's not like your buying it every week.
    +1 we spend hundreds for fish so why not 3$ more for sand

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    -Zach

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12