AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My First Discus Tank - 4ft with Sump

Registered Member

Default Re: My First Discus Tank - 4ft with Sump

Honestly the fish look average, Not Great, Not Terrible..... Just average. They look healthy though which is the main thing. I dont want to know how much they cost LOL. Discus in melbourne are rediculously expensive

I really like the white stand. Everyone I know does black or brown, I might reconsider the way I finish my stand out. Fish look good, how big are they?

It's been nice watching your good buy evolve into a pleasant tank. What kind of rimless tank it is?

PS: Careful with the java moss, it looks awesome but it can turn into a plague. Someone warned me and I learned the hard way.
    -James the

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post
    Nice to hear cycling went well. Any full-tank, panoramic pictures/film?
    I will try to get some done soon, it's just a matter of dragging the camera out

Quote Originally Posted by Rex82 View Post
    Honestly the fish look average, Not Great, Not Terrible..... Just average. They look healthy though which is the main thing. I dont want to know how much they cost LOL. Discus in melbourne are rediculously expensive
    Haha ok I'm happy with average, this is my first time keeping discus so I'm enjoying the learning curve, when I'm confident I will spent the extra on some A grades. Thanks for the honesty.

To be honest there are a few things I would change about my setup so I'm glad I haven't invested a huge amount in fish just yet. I know some around here would disagree and recommend spending as much on the best fish you can afford.

It was such a difficult job picking the fish in the store, so so hard. I was trying to remember all the advice I had read here on simply. In the end I think 5 out of 7 are keepers, so that's not too bad for a newbie picking discus. They need to mature a bit and colour up, some are already showing more colour after a week of good feeding and water changes every day.
    Last edited by Chunks; 09-17-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlcoop277 View Post
    I really like the white stand. Everyone I know does black or brown, I might reconsider the way I finish my stand out. Fish look good, how big are they?
    Thanks, I like the white sand too, I'm getting used to vacuuming it with out disturbing it too much.

The fish are about 2" to 3", there is a bit of variation in size from the biggest to smallest. I wish I paid more attention to the size so that they are all more consistent in that area. I was so focused on picking the brightest, happiest, healthiest looking that I forgot about size

Quote Originally Posted by Stag View Post
    It's been nice watching your good buy evolve into a pleasant tank. What kind of rimless tank it is?

PS: Careful with the java moss, it looks awesome but it can turn into a plague. Someone warned me and I learned the hard way.
    The tank and stand is one I got for $100 off Gumtree, a trading website. So I don't know I it has a brand name. It's not 100% rimless it has the black edging on the sides.

I have removed the java moss, it was turning a poo brown colour, it seemed to collect all of the fish poo so it was a trap.

I'm more of a wild discus person, but I think your fish look nice and healthy, and have great potential to grow into fine adults. Just be extra careful not to stunt them in that planted tank.
    Darrell

Hey Chunks,

The tank looks great! I really like your "minimalist" aquascape and your choice of plants.

I watched your most recent video and I think your Discus look great. Very nice specimens and well-rounded growth from what I can tell.

Two thumbs up!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234