ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My First Discus Tank - 4ft with Sump

I'm going to the discus fish shop tomorrow! I can't wait to see what they have! I might take my iPad along and snap a few pictures to post later if you ask me nicely

Actually that's not a bad idea... You all could tell me what you think about the quality... and which ones I should get?

Default Re: My First Discus Tank - 4ft with Sump

cant wait to see the pictures

Ok so I went into the shop today and i was a little disappointed... The quality of the discus in store was poor and it looks like they had sold out of most types. They had no photograph policy... But I managed to snap a few before I got caught

I don't know what I was expecting but while some of the discus were big in the 6 to 7 range they want $400 for them. I was hoping to at least see a good quality mid-range to choose from... but they didnt really have anything. They also had a bunch of breeding pairs from $700 to $1000.

So that was my trip to the shop... overall quite disappointing... I'm going to have to start looking else where for good quality fish.

you could contact the sponsors on Simply. there are a few reputable dealer in Australia. here is one i could this of.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...1-FTZ-shipment

Yeah I contacted Rod from Fishmania but he can't ship directly to me. The shipment is made via air freight and I'm an hour and a half from the airport so it's an option perhaps.

Looking good so far, looks like a noisy over flow though. What do you have on the back side of the tank? Is it just a 90 degree elbow point down to the sump?

Quote Originally Posted by uarujoey View Post
    Looking good so far, looks like a noisy over flow though. What do you have on the back side of the tank? Is it just a 90 degree elbow point down to the sump?
    Well funny you mention that... Have you had experience with this sort of thing? I'm learning as I go along.. and making mistakes. I took the tank for a test run two days ago and... well it was so loud my wife and I could barely talk over it at the dinner table haha she was not impressed it sounded like a washing machine mid cycle!

Getting back to the setup yes your right it had a 90 degree elbow pointing down to the sump. I was able to lower the noise by submerging the bottom of the pipe under water at the sump end. This reduced the splashing sound as water came in to the sump. However it cause the sucking sound to increase at the overflow, a greater vacuum I suppose... after doing a bit of research I found what I think is the solution, I hope it is, please tell me your thoughts I would really love to know. One source showed a before and after setup and they switched from 90 deg elbow to a T junction. I gather that this should stop the sucking, no vacuum, and actually increase flow capacity?

I haven't tested it yet, I've cut pipes and modified it but I am away for a few days so I will test when I get back.

Have I done the right thing? Will I still get a lot of noise? Is there a better solution, it's not to late to change it.

Any thoughts on this anyone? My guess is that this type of setup is never going to be whisper quiet but anything I can do to make it as quiet as possible would be much appreciated.

What do you think?

Bump. I'd like to know what everyone thinks?

You need a vent on the out side of the tank. Instead or using a 90 degree elbow, use a Tee. Basically, you want to make an external durso overflow. All you need to do, is
    replace the 90 with a Tee, a an inch or two of more pvc to the top of the Tee, and cap it off. Then drill a small hole in the cap for a vent.

This will help out a lot with the noise.

From there, once you get that working properly, if the noise is still too much, point the internal elbow down.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chunks View Post
    Yeah I contacted Rod from Fishmania but he can't ship directly to me. The shipment is made via air freight and I'm an hour and a half from the airport so it's an option perhaps.
    Drive the Hour and a half, you wont be disappointed. I seen the shipment on wednesday, It will be worth your while driving the extra mile. There are shops in Melbourne but i wouldn't waste my money on them as they are MASSIVELY overpriced for average fish, Rod is definitely the man for the quality fish in Australia.

Make sure to cycle that tank before putting fish in as it sounds like you may be jumping the gun to put fish in, I'd hate to see it end in tears.

Welcome to the hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Rex82 View Post
    Drive the Hour and a half, you wont be disappointed. I seen the shipment on wednesday, It will be worth your while driving the extra mile. There are shops in Melbourne but i wouldn't waste my money on them as they are MASSIVELY overpriced for average fish, Rod is definitely the man for the quality fish in Australia.

Make sure to cycle that tank before putting fish in as it sounds like you may be jumping the gun to put fish in, I'd hate to see it end in tears.

Welcome to the hobby
    Yeah I think this option is certainly the best to ensure good quality fish.

Thanks for your concern, I am taking things slowly and step by step, so I can assure you I will be making sure the tank is properly cycled before getting fish.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-31.091067,150.930251

Just a small update. I finish off the plumbing over the weekend and so now it should be ready to go. The hardest part on this tank was getting all the fittings I needed to connect to the pump then from that to the PVC pipe, it required a few different connectors, I got there in the end and next time I do this it will be quicker, yes... There probably will be a next time

I just put the light that came with the tank, a rubbish 30w T8 but it won't be in there long as I have a T5HO twin tube 108w coming soon.

I also managed to find some playground sand on the weekend. This was after searching high and low everywhere, it was right under my nose in bunnings, the name of a hardware store we gave here in Australia.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-34.421500,150.892136

I'm getting some brown fuzzy algae growth on my Manzanite wood. The tank is in the first week of it's cycle so there are no fish, will this clear up on it's own. See my picture below.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast