AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: using salt in a planted tank, is 1 tbsp/ 5 gallon safe for plants?

Default using salt in a planted tank, is 1 tbsp/ 5 gallon safe for plants?

Two of my discus quited eating for two days now, hiding in the corner or under plants. No other signs. I plan to use salt (1 tablespoon every 5 gallons) in the whole disply tank with plants. Is it safe??? Has anyone done this before with plants in?
    my plants incldue Swords, Hygrophlia, anacharis, anabius, etc.

Default Re: using salt in a planted tank, is 1 tbsp/ 5 gallon safe for plants?

Not sure why you would use salt for two discus not eating.

Generally speaking plants will not do well with salt in the tank, depends on concentration of salt and types of plants and duration. Either way I wouldn't add salt to the tank.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

do some water changes instead
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

how long have you had them?

I have had them for 2+ months.
    see my previous link. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ht=#post786585

Since then, I removed one light bulb, reduced the light duration to 10 hours a day, increased WC to every other day, lowed the temp to 84F, feed lightly 3-5 times during the past weekend. I don't know whether this is co-incidence or related. About 3 days ago, one discus showed less interest in food (still eat a little), hiding under plants. About 2 days ago, another discus stopped eating, hiding in the corner, staying away from others. Other than that, no other signs. I heard that salt most of the time will do the trick and it is safe (at least no med) and that's why I want to try salt. I want to deal with this ASAP.
    Last edited by htlv22003@yahoo.com; 07-26-2011 at 12:49 PM.

BTW, occasionally I saw discus shivering thier bodies. Does it mean anything?

I'm not sure salt is your solution, but I have uses 1 tbsp/ 10 gals for other discus issues without damage to the plants. Of course, you still need to do the water changes.
    Ken Wiedel

Update:
    I did 70% WC last night, and added 1 TBS kosher salt per 5 gallons to my tank. I alos raised the temp to 86F and turned on my UV sterilzer. Feed the fish very slightly.
    Now, both of them came out staying with the group. One started to eat some FD bloodworm. The other one has not yet. All the plants seem fine for now.

Wish me luck. Thanks!