AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 125 gallon tank no braces, canopy dilema.

Registered Member

Default 125 gallon tank no braces, canopy dilema.

Hey all, have a question for the DIY's. I bought a used 125 gallon tank (72 x 18) with no center brace(s). I want to have a glass canopy hood for it and found a Marineland canopy set. Problem is that the it's two 36" tops and I don't have a center brace to support the middle. I was thinking of siliconing a 3-4" wide piece of glass in the middle (and ends to make it level). My question is will inserting braces now change the structural integrity of the tank at all? Will it put more stress on the bottom of the tank since their will be no bracing there? (Should I put the same bracing on the bottom of tank?) thnks

Jeff.

Default Re: 125 gallon tank no braces, canopy dilema.

The older 125's had no bracing because they were made from 1/2" glass, they didn't need bracing. It does make fitting modern tops a challenge however. Yeah, you can add a brace so you can add tops, but I would not make the brace so tight as to add pressure to the sides of the tank. Cut it to fit loosely, and let the silicone hold it it place. In fact, I wouldn't "glue" it in place in until after the tank was filled, because the tank may give slightly because of water pressure.
    Darrell

I would think adding a brace would help it not hurt it
    My wife names my fish

Registered Member

Thanks Darrell, I was thinking along the same lines. I will have the glass cut just slightly shorter than the length from the inside ridge, front to back. Good idea about having the tank filled before applying the silicone/glue to the pieces.

Registered Member

True, although my only real concern is that I'd be bracing the top an not the bottom.

Registered Member

If you go with a piece of 1/4"- 3/8" glass that's 10" wide or so, you'll have much the same construction as older Oceanic tanks, which were built like, well, tanks. The large surface area for sealant means that it can be installed when the tank is squeaky clean & empty, prevent it from bowing out at all...
    John