AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY 3D background

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

Default DIY 3D background

Has anyone had experience with building a 3D background with styrofoam and cement? Have been looking at the ones available and of course the one I want is $376.00. Was thinking about building one and have seen many examples on youtube. Any issues?
    Bill
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

Registered Member

Default Re: DIY 3D background

Just follow the instructions on youtube and you should be fine, I cured mine for two weeks before I placed any fish in it.

You can paint styrofoam with Drylok and not have to worry about pH swings.

Thanks guys, it looks like an interesting project. I will see what kind of artist I am.
    Bill

If your going to do a DIY 3D background, go with fibreglass! Its inert, and lasts forever...

I did a how to on that background as well... step by step, how to do it.

Thank you Joey for showing me the clip. I actually saw it on Youtube while browsing DIY backgrounds. I bought the tank so I am committed (or should be). Where do you get the fiberglass supplies? I purchased the cement and color and was thinking of covering it with epoxy once done but fiberglass sounds better.
    Thanks Bill

I just looked at a website with fiberglass supplies. I think I will have to try the cement background. By the time you buy the resin, hardener and fabric you will have several hundred into it. I would be able to purchase the one I want at that point and about break even. I am thinking of this as a cost saver, but also a project to enjoy. Hope I don't find out after all this that I don't like it and need to buy one anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Discus View Post
    I just looked at a website with fiberglass supplies. I think I will have to try the cement background. By the time you buy the resin, hardener and fabric you will have several hundred into it. I would be able to purchase the one I want at that point and about break even. I am thinking of this as a cost saver, but also a project to enjoy. Hope I don't find out after all this that I don't like it and need to buy one anyway.
    I think your right, it looks pretty difficult mixing resins all that stuff.

Plus you are forming shapes that don't look real.

I watched one on YouTube, the guy did a corner tank with simulated erosion layers and it turned out pretty nice.
    Easy, cheap, and looks decent.

I'm going to do one on a 90 48x18, and soak it in a kids pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sean Buehrle; 08-03-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Looking forward to seeing your project Bill!

Steve

Thanks Sean and Steve. I just found a more reasonable price on a website called Aeromarine. Debate, debate cement or fiberglass. I don't know much about fiberglass (nothing) but last night I used epoxy and small gravel on the bottom of a tank. Trying it out to see if it will work on the new tank. It is drying today. But duh epoxy is what is used to make the fiberglass mold. I'm torn. Will start a new thread on the build. The tank, a 210 should be here tomorrow. Started tearing down the 100 gal last night. Move fish all around.
    Bill

I would think, unless a person is one heck of an artist, that making a realistic looking background would be difficult without having a mold to work from. I would just buy one, and forget about it. LOL! Good luck.
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    I would think, unless a person is one heck of an artist, that making a realistic looking background would be difficult without having a mold to work from. I would just buy one, and forget about it. LOL! Good luck.
    I'll try and find this link to one a guy made it was very easy and it did look good, I'll post it when I get to my pc.

It's easier just to search YouTube for diy 3d background.

I really like the eroded rock looking ones, kinda cool, I dunno how that theme would go with discus being a south American fish .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sean Buehrle; 08-03-2011 at 08:39 PM.

I got my supplies locally. Fibreglass resin/hardener, and matt is not that much. You should be able to do the whole background for about $100.

While cement background can also be nice, there longevity is questionable. The cement will eventually crumble, and weaken. Adding a resin to strength it works well at first, but the resin doesnt seam to stick well over time.

I've done seceral backgrounds at this point... using every combination of materials i could find.

Fibreglass is by far the best. Its inert, takes up no water volume(hollow) and last forever. I cannot say the same for a cement one.

Thanks Joey
    The tank is in the barn and am weighing my options. I am leaning toward fiberglass at this point. Weight issue is a concern also. If I build the background in place fiberglass would be the way to go. The tank is a 210 with 2 built in overflows. The bottom is drilled for the plumbing in the overflows. I was deciding to either remove the black plastic and replace with the fiberglass background or build onto the black plastic.
    Daryll that was my first thought is just buy one. But then it would be like the women who gets to the party and someone is wearing the same dress. I hope I can be artistic enough to make it look good. The scary part is it looks like cr%p and I have to tear it out and make a mess and cost me more. That is half the fun, keeping busy as a hobby. I could have some one come build it for me too. What fun would that be. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Here are a few starter pics of the tank. Just getting it out of the truck was a project. A four wheeler with a winch was the ticket. You can see the built in overflows here. I will keep it here and start work on the background while I am getting its place ready in the "fish cave". Keith I will need to come up with a different name so I don't steal yours. This is going to be an in wall tank. It will go where the 100 gal is now. Will require some carpenter and electrical and plumbing work. That I can do. The last pic is a 29 gal breeder tank. I did a gravel epoxy bottom. Will refill with water and fish and see how it works out. Planning on doing this to the 210.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast