AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY 3D background

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

Default Re: DIY 3D background

Update on the new tank. I am wimping out on the DIY background. I am worried the cement will break down and make a mess. Epoxy seemed the better option but I am now questioning my artistic ability. So I ordered a 3D background. I didn't totally wimp out and I am adding stumps from a cedar from our woods. The stumps are perfect for covering the overflow boxes. I was thinking of removing them and building decorative ones but the stumps will cover them while keeping them functional. Then I don't have to worry about it leaking. Here are some pics of the stumps. They had a hollow center, It was actually one stump I cut in half. I removed all of the loose rotting wood from the inside and made them thinner. I am coating them in epoxy to prevent the cedar from leaching into the water. I kept the moss on the surface. More to follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

I really have no idea what I'm talking about so don't take this as gospel.

It doesn't sound like a good idea to use those stumps.

They are rotted and I don't think "real driftwood" goes through a rotting process. Do you think it's going to release a bunch of unwanted "stuff"
    Into the water?

How are you sealing it?

Something just sounds like trouble to me.
    Like I said before, I don't know much about these type of things and this is more of a question to find out if you can really do this successfully, not criticism .

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sealing them with epoxy. It is resin like what is used to make fiberglass molds. It is a worry about the leaching but I removed all the loose wood from the inside and got down to hard non rotted wood. It will be an experiment. It is just not 'hard' wood. I think the epoxy will seal out water forever. I am on my third coat and plan more. The root areas are hollow as well and I epoxied the inside and filled with pond foam and a couple rocks for weight. I'll keep you posted on progress. I am just waiting for background to come now.
    Bill

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Bill, congrats on the new tank. Great size and from the look is a glass tank. You certainly have your work cut out for you. In my last house we stripped the back room to the studs. The back room had originally been a screened porch and it have not been enclosed well.

Part of the rebuilding process was added a room between the family room and bedroom to house the AC, a sink and my then 180 was built into the wall. The sink made tank maintenance so much easier.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Those stump will look awesome if you can make them work.

<----Interested to see pics

Thanks Pat.
    They are very cool looking. That is why I want them to work. I have them sitting in the tank, dry at the moment and wow. I'll post pics when I get the background.

Thanks for the interest Stag. We were posting at the same time. I'll get some pics up when the background comes. I tried to paint a background on the back and it is pretty pitiful as far as me being an artist.
    Bill

Real Name
    Pat

Bill, once you have the stumps cured I would suggest soaking them for a long time and then adding a cardinal tetra to the water as a safety check.

Great idea Pat. I have a few cull discus I will use for testing. I have kept my bio alive from the previous 100 gallon tank by circulating the sump and adding ammonia. Cycling the tank should go well. The stumps I am hoping will not take on any water due to the sealing with the epoxy resin.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Discus View Post
    Great idea Pat. I have a few cull discus I will use for testing. I have kept my bio alive from the previous 100 gallon tank by circulating the sump and adding ammonia. Cycling the tank should go well. The stumps I am hoping will not take on any water due to the sealing with the epoxy resin.
    I'm sorry to be a doubting Thomas but of they won't take on water how are you going to keep them submerged? I'm thinking silicone to the bottom?

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Discus View Post
    I am sealing them with epoxy. It is resin like what is used to make fiberglass molds. It is a worry about the leaching but I removed all the loose wood from the inside and got down to hard non rotted wood. It will be an experiment. It is just not 'hard' wood. I think the epoxy will seal out water forever. I am on my third coat and plan more. The root areas are hollow as well and I epoxied the inside and filled with pond foam and a couple rocks for weight. I'll keep you posted on progress. I am just waiting for background to come now.
    Bill
    he used rocks.

Hey Bill, Any updates on this?
    -James the

Registered Member

Don't feel bad if you buy a background. I just bought one myself from Aquaterra which worked out to $205 shipped for a 6 foot long tank and I'm international! I would never think of spending the time, effort and money on materials to make one myself (even if I could). I figure even putting a modest dollar amount on my time, running around, gas $ for my truck, etc would easily be that much, probably end up being alot more than the $205 I paid for a professionally made background.

The background is in, the logs needed more weight so I am adding that and giving the epoxy time to dry. The tank has H2O. No fish yet. I will unveil the finished tank as soon as I get the logs in and some fish in. So far I am very pleased. I want it to be complete before showing it. Thanks for the continued interest. I think you will really like the end product.
    Bill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast