ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Fishroom on the Northern Plains

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: New Fishroom on the Northern Plains

Brrrrrrr Gary, you hoping to get foundation, walls and roof done before winters sets in? (or maybe too late for that)
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Brrrrrrr Gary, you hoping to get foundation, walls and roof done before winters sets in? (or maybe too late for that)
    Yes,ma'am....Kathy and I can get downright hardcore, even with aging...I'm tearing the bone outta the dirtwork right now; I'll post photo's tonite....Hope to pour next week...(which means all prep, forms, floor drain, rebar, insulation for concrete, etc. needs to be done before this time next week)....I built my garage (40X24) during the winter of 1998...Hung all the trusses by hand myself the week before Christmas...Was nailing redwood siding at 15 below in January.....We'll make it..if the funds hold out!...
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Gary just how far away from civilization are you ? Must be nice though out there until something bad comes up, sorry to hear about your mother-in -law, hope all ends well...............Jim in Ohio

Well, deopends on what ya call 'civilization'...!5 miles from a town with 200+ folks and a gas station, lumber yard, and bar...15 miles to one a little larger at 5,000..60 miles from one with a Walmart, or chain store...180-250 to one with an airport of size.
    So, here's the day's progress....This is the approach, which used to be as wide as the fir branch (about 6 feet) basically a footpath out, until it drifts in...Now as wide as the fresh dirt..12 to 16 feet....

Same spot, reverse view looking south...The old walkway was as wide as the leaves

Farther in, looking west, where the entry will be...

Overall shot looking Northwest....

[IMG][/IMG]

thirty five plus yards of dirt, retaining wall, and crud removed today, which I'll relocate thursday..There's a spot east of the garage that needs some fill.

The Bobcat, and 14 yards of gravel to spread tomorrow, making a good drainage and surface to lay sheets of 2" insulation...

The project today from the same original view..New steel roof, and now the prep for the pour.....

More tomorrow. Still a few hours of dirtwork for level, and to make room to work on exterior walls...Then the gravel..
    Last edited by TURQ64; 10-18-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Awesome Gary, no grass grows under your feet lol
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

It's a work in progress, for sure. It was kinda sad, tearing out the field stone retaining wall with the Bobcat..Three hours undid three years of hand labor by Kathy and I fetching, punking, and fitting all of the stone, let alone all of the intricate little stuff we've planted in it...all toast now, onward with the new fishroom!...a lot of Rock Wrens will be wondering where home went next spring.....

Here's today's updates...Overall shot of the entrance, with gravel spread. I shot a few control lines on the exsisting foundation, and carried it out so I can start forms tomorrow..Then that nice pile of rebar

Another view, where the rows of tanks will be when completed..

This is where I went with the near 50 yards of fill dirt I removed..The side of the garage only had about 6' of walkway; now I can park a trailer, etc..

And last, the place where I had them dump two truckloads of gravel. Now all spread, we'll use this new spot for a canopy shed to store our jetboat..

More news after the forms, and rebar work, insulation, etc. for the mat is complete...
    Last edited by TURQ64; 10-20-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Better hurry with the concrete pour Gary, winters coming! Snow flurries tonight in the high mountains of North Carolina already. LOL!
    Darrell

I'm tryin', Darrell!..Been in the twenty's every morning now when I start digging..Can hardly hear the Bobcat running over the geese all screaming to head south...Looking to pour the beginning or middle of next week...Last day of the machinery rental today, but supposed to get back up in the 50's-60's ...

Best wishes!
    Darrell

Best of luck Gary with the project. Indeed keep us all posted.
    Jorge Q

Registered Member Coffee1stLife2nd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina

nice to watch a work in progress... most people add an extra bedrooms or bath as an addition to there home...LOL...fish room ought to be awsome...keep posting pics...
    ** I use to dream of Unicorns ** NOW I dream of Discus with the colors of the Rainbow **

Well, we did all of those 'bedroom additions' when the kid's were young; now they've grown, so it's the fishes turn!..Kicked our butts yesterday, forming up, and last minute detailing before returning the rental Bobcat..Picked up the styro insulation for under the pad, will grade and install it today before laying the rebar mat....photo's later; my wc regimen is going to hell in a handbasket, but they'll survive...

Well, I'm running a bit behind, but here's a shot or two of progress.These shots are a day old; we are farther ahead (not by much!)..

Formwork and some future control lines to determine what we'll set the south wall height at..

The start of the insulation undeer the mat..

Today's going to be a blur; I have to break out the torch and cut,lay and tie all of the rebar mat, and make sure we're ready for the concrete. Then off for a 120 mi. round trip to rent a power screed, as I'm too damned old for pulling 10 yards with a 2X6!

Registered Member Coffee1stLife2nd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina

urggg i hate waiting for more pics and updates... im so excited to see more progress...your doing an awesome job...but it is getting kinda chilly out...LOL...
    ** I use to dream of Unicorns ** NOW I dream of Discus with the colors of the Rainbow **

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast