ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Plants for sand

Question Plants for sand

I am switching my 75g planted lo-tech tank from gravel to PFS Mainly because the waste stays on top for easier cleaning.. I was wondering if I have to do anything besides the root tabs and Excel that I normally use. I have 108W lights, so I use lo-light, low maintenance plants:

Anubias
    Crypt Wendii
    Jungle Val
    Water Sprite

Can I just replant these over to sand and use root tabs and excel? I always wondred how the roots would get through the sand.

I'm keen to know the answer to this question as well...

Default Re: Plants for sand

Yes switch to the sand. Then put your plants in like you would gravel. Then push the tabs in near the roots. Then go easy with the excel. =) next realize you will get a film and some crappy algae on the sand, it happens no matter what, dont worry it will clear in a bit. The plants will grow better roots in sand versus gravel, just there are zero nutrients in the sand this way so root tabs are a must with root feeders.

Good luck
    have fun
    David

The roots get through the sand very well - no problem.
    If you use root tab ferts and some liquids (or other) like you are dosing, they will do very well.
    But really, almost any plants will do well in it. I have the same set-up, do the same thing as you're doing - and I have to prune my Swords, Hygros, Aponogeton, Lotus - etc. on almost a weekly basis.

BTW - as evidence, here's some pics of my tank quite a few months ago when it was fairly newly set-up -

Then I'm adding more pics of the tank a few months later - sorry the second set doesn't have full tank shots so you can see the real difference in the plant growth, but hopefully you'll get the picture:

# 1 link : http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...l/FTS-Osaka260

# 2 link: http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...cuspaul/2tanks

Thanks for the feedback. Eased my mind quite a bit. Beautiful tank you have there, I will be stealing some of your ideas for my set up

Quote Originally Posted by henpecked View Post
    I am switching my 75g planted lo-tech tank from gravel to PFS Mainly because the waste stays on top for easier cleaning.. I was wondering if I have to do anything besides the root tabs and Excel that I normally use. I have 108W lights, so I use lo-light, low maintenance plants:

Anubias
    Crypt Wendii
    Jungle Val
    Water Sprite

Can I just replant these over to sand and use root tabs and excel? I always wondred how the roots would get through the sand.
    I use sand in my plannted tank and no problem with plants establishing roots. It is a bit tricky to keep them down at first but not a problem after a while. I would not use Excel if you have val. My experience is that they will burn them. I use home made root tabs on my tank in the beginning but I don't put anything in the tank now. I run higher with my lights but uses CO2. My crypts are all over the place even with the sand.

Van

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by vlam View Post
    My crypts are all over the place even with the sand.
    Van
    Van let me know if you want to sell some crypts.
    Marc