ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: SD forum/members' poor reputation ...???? What can we do about it ?

Registered Member

Default Re: SD forum/members' poor reputation ...???? What can we do about it ?

I have to be honest, this forum scared the bejesus out of me when I joined a couple of years ago. April tried to talk me out of discus for a LOOONNNGG time and she was successful until I bought a tank that came with 5 discus and I was hooked. I thought they were the coolest things ever and when I posted pictures asking what they were, the replies TRASHED my poor fish!!! I felt terrible. I talked to April about it, but I was still hiding in a corner licking my wounds. Luckily, while this was happening, I got the odd pm from old'timers telling me what was what and that I shouldn't take things so hard. I found it really helpful when someone pointed out that Simply is world-wide. It has a much bigger audience than my local little forum where I actually know a lot of the folks. That helped put things in perspective. Some of the other pm's were really helpful, funny and some even touching. Eddie was (and is) AWESOME. He really made me feel welcome and that I had something to contribute to the forum. There were many others and after awhile I warmed up to the place. I still mostly lurk, but any time something goes wrong and I need a shoulder or an ear to listen, I know there's always someone here. And I don't know what I would do without Al and his BULK FDBW sales
    Shelley

Well said Shelley. This forum is gentle and mild compared to a few we visited I'm the old days. That's where I met brew, Ryan, John Nicholson, Jim quarles, Hans, etc etc. That forum was called discus persons In profile!!!, why do I bring that up? It's why simply was started. We wanted a more educational, helpful, compassionate forum with beginners and experts.
    Al and Ryan have dome well to make policy's and keep it civil yes sometimes things go array but for the most part it's a great forum.
    I think this thread has explored as far as it can go

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.274990,-122.835488

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    Well said Shelley. This forum is gentle and mild compared to a few we visited I'm the old days. That's where I met brew, Ryan, John Nicholson, Jim quarles, Hans, etc etc. That forum was called discus persons In profile!!!, why do I bring that up? It's why simply was started. We wanted a more educational, helpful, compassionate forum with beginners and experts.
    Al and Ryan have dome well to make policy's and keep it civil yes sometimes things go array but for the most part it's a great forum.
    I think this thread has explored as far as it can go
    Wow, if Skip was here he would be pulling out the popcorn. Think this thread has gone to the darkside.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Dear SimplyDiscus Members,
    I am locking this thread while I actually take the time to go thru it and digest it all. Truth is I am locking it to give myself some serious cool down Time...else I may write something that would just wind up on another forum I could care less about than the saw dust in my socks right now.

I just got my power back from hurricane Irene, spent the day cutting trees and doing water changes, check my emails and log in and read this.

I don't think Paul meant any harm in his starting this thread, But I do think the concern was miss-placed...a few dozen negatives by people is unavoidable when dealing with thousands. It doesn't signify a serious problem with Simplydiscus, IME. Negative people always scream more than positive ones, and rarely ever look hard at themselves and their role in a conflict. I admit that sometimes I feel as if this forum is under appreciated by most...The criticisms are always there, sure would be nice if the positives were shouted as louder or louder..some do...and for that I thank you! most don't...Its just the way these things work.

.. As a general FYI>>>>I don't measure the success and usefulness of this forum by that.. I measure it by the people we help, I measure it by the ones that praise the site, that thank the site , the ones that support and recommend the site.I measure it by the pms and letters I get sent that thank me and our staff for what we do here.

I've been doing this for many years, and if you look at a moment in time,which is what a thread on any forum represents you find those that love a site, those that hate one, and those that used to feel otherwise....heck some of my good friends today are ones I banned yesterday I can assure you they did not have much good to say about me back then!

If you value this site then step up to the plate and try and be a positive influence on it and the hobby. If you have criticisms of it or concerns, best person to talk to is me...one on one...why? Because I set the tone here...its that Simple. I take full responsibility for this sites reputation as its owner. I try my best to steer this ship .

Theres always room for improvement in anything...and over the years we have consistently listened to peoples views. I have spent countless hours listening, reading suggestions, and talking with people...but let me be clear here...Ryan and I walk in a very large uncomfortable set of shoes here, so before anyone is too critical of the site and tone of this forum...try walking in our shoes.

and Ryan....You are not taking it too personal..it is personal..we've spent countless hours and alot of effort on building this site , if people knew half the BS you and I as well as our mods and admins have dealt with..I really wonder if this thread would exist at all. For you and I...it doesn't get any more personal than this....Simplydiscus is our home, our pride and Joy

If anyone has a problem with the forum and wants to severely criticize it,slam it or flame it....they are entitled to their opinion...but they can take that opinion elsewhere...This is not to say that having a problem with another member that chases someone away is wrong...it is to say that people should direct their criticism at the people involved....not Simplydiscus.com When people criticize this forum as a whole for the actions of a handful of people..they are insulting all those here that try to help others and try to act in a certain fashion..
    and to clarify this...I am not talking about being concerned here...I am talking about people who have a fundamental difference of opinion as to how Simplydiscus should be run...for someone like that its best you go start your own forum...because I think this one is just fine as it is...it ain't perfect, but I've yet to meet anyone that was.

Regards all,
    more latter.

-al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 08-31-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: grammar
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567