AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 150 Gallons build

Real Name
    Fred

Default 150 Gallons build

Hello everyone ...

I've finally started assembling my 150 gallons.

The Aquarium was built locally to my specification. It includes 2 corner overflow with 2-inch bulkhead. There are two top braces. Capicity is actually 135 gallons, but I will make it up with a 40 Gallons tanks as a sump filter. The rear overflow and are colored black while the fons is cream colored.

I built the stand out of some Pine 2X4 and 2X3 that I stained and varnished. The flat bottom is a 3/4 inche Plywood based resting on a perimeter of 2X3 and cross braces. The sides and back are 3/8 plywood.

As mention I will use a 40 Gallon tank as a filter, it will be seperated in 3 parts.

The first part will be for the two overflow will spill into bags of 25 micron filter, the bag will be use as pre-filter. the Second part will be for the filter media, I will use a combination of Poret foam and another that I have not yet decided (Siporax Style or Seachem Matrix). In the Third section will be the Rio 700 pump and a Finnex Titanium 500W with external controller.

Here's what it looks like a date.

Cheers,

Fred

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: 150 Gallons build

Looks great so far. The corner overflows are at an angle? Like that. Mine are square on the 100 gallon oceanic and hard to hide. Great start on the stand.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Gerald Mann

Looks good. What are you planning to put in it?

I would suggest you pre filter with Poret foam, and use any 25 micron you want to use last, before the return pump. 25 micron will clog pretty fast if used as a pre filter. In all honesty, if using the 4" thick, fine Poret, you won't even need the micron. In my 240, the 4" Poret is all the mechanical I use, and there are no issues with water clarity. Once I started using Poret, I threw away the micron bags, and have never looked back.
    Darrell

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

I use the Poret foam too, both for mechanical and for bio and have never looked at a bag of ceramic rings again. I love the stuff! I used the illustration on the Poret website as a model since I'd never used it before and it works perfectly. Only have to yank out the mechanical piece once a month for a quick hose off outside and the bio pieces get a good rinse out every 2 months per the websites instructions.

Water quality is excellent with Poret in the sump and the price to stuff it all in my sump was much cheaper than going the bio ball and ring route. Oh and I bought a few extra pieces to use for other stuff, like pre-filters in other tanks, etc.

Your tank is great looking btw. Can't wait to see it as you add water and discus. =)
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Real Name
    Fred

Thanks

The overflow are at 45 degrees...

Darell I was thinking of changing the bags every 3 days, i.e. when I do the water changes.
    Strawberrieblonde... I might just put Poret foam, the stuff works great...

Right now I'm going to drop 7 Blue Diamonds to finnish off their grwoing and get them started to pair.
    I'm debating putting my batch of Solomon when they get a little bigger or a dozen heckles...

here the Solomons that I'm currently growing

Cheers,

Fred

Nice tank. Where did you get the solomons?

Len

The poret foam makes great stand alone media for sure. Makes for a simple but effective system. I like the babies.
    Darrell

Real Name
    Fred

Thanks...

I got the babies back in May from Vern Archer...
    Vern had bought some of pairs from Dale and he got the bach as well.

They are slow growers, but I've been told thats the case with wild F1s. Theres potential in there and I'm currious to see how they will develop.

Cheers,

Fred

Real Name
    Pat

Fred, I like your soloman babies too. Dale had and now Vern some impressive stock. Your babies are developing some nice color. How old and large are they? I would go with a nice group of wilds in your 150.

Real Name
    Fred

Hi Pat,

Age wise I don't know.... I've had them 3 months, When I pick them they were about 1 inch to 1/1/2... now the biggest one is a litle over 3 inch... the smallests are about 1 3/4, yes they are getting culled. They are not stunted, but they aren't growing as fast as my Blue Diamonds, yest they are getting the same quality/quantity of food and about the same waterchanges.

this what they look like when I got them

Here a couple more pictures how they are today

I agree that they would do well once they are a liitle bigger in the 150.

Cheers,

Fred

Real Name
    Pat

Fred, wilds grow slower that domestics so something think to about before culling. You also might contact Vern and ask about the growth rates. I remember Dale mentioning them being slow growing and he feed 24/7.

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

I'm with Pat, I wouldn't cull the lil ones till I was 100% sure they truly were stunted. They look REALLY good, even the tiny ones!

I raised a heckel back in the early 80's and he grew much slower than my domestics I bought this past April. He did eventually reach 6" though...just took longer.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Real Name
    Fred

Thanks for the encouragement...

There 3 really small ones... Those are the ones that I'm tempted to cull... but I'm not in a hurry... I've got 17 right now, and I have the space for them untill I drop them off in the 150 if I want to. I'm comfartable with them growing slower... Plus I'm just really curious how they will turn out a year from now... There a progression from the day I brought them in up to today so I'm really happy with myself. I see tehm as a challenge.

Cheers,

Fred