ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wish me luck...Poison Ivy VS Man

Registered Member retiredsailor's Avatar

Default Re: Wish me luck...Poison Ivy VS Man

two tips.... be immensely careful of the sap. it is much more potent than any other part of the plant. second, if it localized to easily accessible areas on your body hot water can be a godsend. simply get the water half a degree below the point you can't stand to touch it then let it wash over the effected body part. it feels like someone is scratching the hell out of it and feels sooooooo good. the marks from it will take longer to go away but at least you have the pleasure, the extreme pleasure, of "scratching it".

The Poison Ivy Report for today....

Well I faired pretty good so far after battle...I was unfortunately wounded and will need to prepare myself better when I go up against that knave again...

Looks like I have a 1-2 inch wide ring of it on my wrist. where the tyvek suit and glove meet. I should have had longer gloves I guess....as would have it, It knew that was a weak point and I was going to tape the sleeves over the glove,but didn't instead I relied on the poison IVY shield I slathered there before suiting up. I may also have been wounded below the chin and in the front of my neck...that place was exposed as I again relied on the poison Ivy Shield and my helmet's visor....

Considering all the PI there was there and how much sap went airborn as I cut it...at this point I think I did well....we will see.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Francis

Yr jumpsuit reminds me the movie Texas Chain Massacre.....Leatherface hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Well my lords and ladies, it was a fierce battle, one compounded by an inferior weapon (buyers remorse, hated that chainsaw model from day1--never another Poulon.) The battle raged on all afternoon and I put my heart into...but being but only one lone knight I was vastly out numbered. The Battle for the day was my neighbors yard....and I was victorious...I slew that beast entirely and chopped it up so it could never return. I won the battle but the war is far from over....I need to find myself a new weapon and then take on the two headed beast thats still alive...this being the tree and IVY on the ground in my yard, and its sibling, a 60 ft tree still towering over the battle field.

I am but a humble man and am loath to show myself in full battle armer, least it put fear into your hearts and nightmares into your dreams, but I shall do so this one time. Be warned , Tis a terribly fierce sight!

Attachment 68599

Attachment 68600

Attachment 68601
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    The Poison Ivy Report for today....

Well I faired pretty good so far after battle...I was unfortunately wounded and will need to prepare myself better when I go up against that knave again...

Looks like I have a 1-2 inch wide ring of it on my wrist. where the tyvek suit and glove meet. I should have had longer gloves I guess....as would have it, It knew that was a weak point and I was going to tape the sleeves over the glove,but didn't instead I relied on the poison IVY shield I slathered there before suiting up. I may also have been wounded below the chin and in the front of my neck...that place was exposed as I again relied on the poison Ivy Shield and my helmet's visor....

Considering all the PI there was there and how much sap went airborn as I cut it...at this point I think I did well....we will see.

-al
    Wow, you are super sensitive to that stuff. Now I fully understand why you were worried. Good luck with the rash.
    Darrell

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Godspeed to the good knight Sir Brewmaster Al as he rides out to slay the mighty PI beast as it dwells in its lair. May he succeed so the land is free and all may venture out onto the land in safety and freedom.

Seriously Al, be careful

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Well, The verdict is on the PI>...considering how much I cut I feel I got off lucky, but there were some areas I need to get better armer ... For one thing I used Gorilla grip gloves....I fingured the coated grips would protect my hands...I was right to a degree....what the gloves also had was a very tight fabric on the back..its flexible and stretches a little great for working...bad for PI...The Oils managed to get into the fabric as it stretched...so I have poison IVY on all the the back surfaces of my hands...mild and spotty for the most part..pretty nasty on the backs of my thumbs...makes sense if you ever used a chainsaw.

I have a bit on my face, nose, neck... heaviest at the cheeks where the mask ended....even with a face shield some got thru!

By far the worst is my wrist...right arm.It got right thru where the glove and suit met...note to oneself, tape glove to suit, Its goes clear around the wrist and really had some serious blisters which have since gone by.

Now I realize not everyone here gets Poison IVY or has had it bad,,,but heres a few photos of how bad I get it...and thats with all that armer! Can you imagine If I hadn't taken all those steps!

Ps...not for the weak of heart....

.100_0761-a.JPG100_0756a.JPG100_0758a.JPG

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Ouch, appears you swelled up too. Not for the faint of heart.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Ouch! Last time I was at the Doctor's office, I saw a ad on the wall for some high strength prescription only stuff for reactions to poisonous plants. I can't remember the name of the product, but it had pictures of all the plants harmful to the skin in North America on the poster. Might be worth checking into.
    Darrell

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

Al I do everything I can DIY but maybe you should hire a tree service for the other half. We lost 6 huge oaks at our cabin to oak wilt. The trees needed to be taken down. I could not handle 100 year old plus trees over the cabin. Needed crane to do it. We had them done professionally and it killed me to sit and watch and then see them take the wood but that is how they do it. Some times you need to let go and have some one else do things that will be out of your control or cause you great pain.
    Bill
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123