AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wish me luck...Poison Ivy VS Man

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Re: Wish me luck...Poison Ivy VS Man

Sir Brewmaster the foolish - I'm just hoping you don't ascend to the throne and become King Itchalot. Sounds good for you so far at least.
    President - North American Discus Association

I'll never buy another Poulan either. Do yourself a favor and buy a Stihl. Mine has yet to fail me.

I was TERRIBLY allergic when I was a kid until I decided to eat it so I wouldn't have to go to school. (I wasn't fond of school. The dentist was better). It DID NOT WORK. It was either that or I out grew the terrible allergy. Yeah, if I mow it wearing shorts and it splatters all over my legs I get it. I scratch a some, but it heals soon enough. No biggie. Nothing like it once was. I'd have done it for you had I been there. But I wouln't have dressed in a costume, as you did.

Be aware that it will sprout from the roots. It is a very hardy vine. Make sure that you have some RoundUp on hand when it sprouts back out. Watch for it in the Spring!

I just let mine grow. I leave it alone and it leaves me alone. It's a pretty vine.
    Mama Bear

You guys are saw sissies!..I have three Poulan's, one's still going from their second year in business, and 2 Stihls, one Husky..All but the Husky run about the same when we have time, we do at least a dozen full cords of ash or oak, and they've all performed superbly, no parts yet other than five miles of chains....JMO..Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Out here in the woods, we have both poison ivy,and poison oak in abundance. I have found that Roundup Poison Ivy and Brush Killer in the concentrate, is highly effective getting rid of it, and practically any other kind of vegetation as well. It doesn't grow back either. I use it all around the property both at home, and at the old family farm. Good stuff!
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    You guys are saw sissies!..I have three Poulan's, one's still going from their second year in business, and 2 Stihls, one Husky..All but the Husky run about the same when we have time, we do at least a dozen full cords of ash or oak, and they've all performed superbly, no parts yet other than five miles of chains....JMO..Gary
    How dare you call me a sissy Besides, with all those chain saws you must always have ONE that will crank. I imagine you know how to work on 2 strokes. 2 Stokes are over my head. Stihl for me. Other than my Dr. Trimmer (4 stroke), my Stihl is my best friend. I take care of my best friends and they are always there for me when I need them.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Hey Al, what are you going to do with all the cut up PI? Even dried it is still dangerous.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

My dad use to call cheap lawn mowers, trimmers, chain saws etc. "disposable products", meaning you use them til they quit running, then throw them away and buy new ones, as they are really not cost effective to fix. I still have a Poulan saw around somewhere. When new it worked flawlessly, but about a few months of hard use, it didn't want to start anymore. I've got an old Echo that's about 20 years old, has taken an unbelievable amount of abuse over the years, and still runs like a champ. You get what you pay for I guess.
    Darrell

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Al, remember that mead is not the knights only reward
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    Gary,Glad you like yours, mines good for a door stop. It came with a new fangled "easy chain Tensioner" which loosens up while using just as easily as it tightens!

Hey Al, what are you going to do with all the cut up PI? Even dried it is still dangerous.
    Barb
    Barb, thats stuff stays forever active. I burn wood for my home heating but this stuff got dragged to the woods where mother nature can recycle it..Its a shame as its a really solid cherry tree...but you can't free it from that junk growing on it. I've known several here that have gotten itin their lungs and throat from the smoke...nasty and requires some serious prednisone.

I'm super allergic, swell up like a balloon and need prednisone when I get it like that. I slathered on a poison Ivy shield product before gearing up and went and washed up with technu...at this point I've doen all I can..we'll see if I get in the next 2-3 days. The photos don't do the tree justice...I can't begin to tell you how much poison IVY was on that tree. the vines are thicker than my legs ! This was not your garden variety of Poison IVY....we are talking Mega-plant....reminded me of "Day of the trefids" for those that know that flick.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Let me know if you need some help with the half in your yard, k? When I was a wee lass (18 months old) my Mom tossed me into a playpen for the afternoon while the adults and older kids enjoyed an old fashioned Electrical Union Steak Bake (for the uninitiated that's all the brats n beer you can eat all day with huge plates of raw clams and oysters, followed by a dinner of grilled T Bones, steamed clams, corn on the cob and all the fixins...washed down with yet more beer).

According to the witnesses of my poison ivy escapade, I'd been sitting in the playpen, eating handfuls of the stuff and playing with it for well over an hour before anyone noticed I was covered in green slimy bits. They washed me off and waited for the symptoms before they rushed me to the hospital (I blame the beer for their lackadaisical attitudes towards my plight!). The symptoms never came. To this day I can roll in the stuff and it has no effect on me.

So yep, let me know if you need some help and I'll mosey on over. I'll need some beer, oysters on the half shell, a thick Tbone and a bratwurst or two to see me through the ordeal however. Don't bother with the playpen though. =)
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Shame. Cherry burns so wonderfully and is such a delight to split. I burned wood for my heat for years before I became civilized. I know.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    Let me know if you need some help with the half in your yard, k? When I was a wee lass (18 months old) my Mom tossed me into a playpen for the afternoon while the adults and older kids enjoyed an old fashioned Electrical Union Steak Bake (for the uninitiated that's all the brats n beer you can eat all day with huge plates of raw clams and oysters, followed by a dinner of grilled T Bones, steamed clams, corn on the cob and all the fixins...washed down with yet more beer).

According to the witnesses of my poison ivy escapade, I'd been sitting in the playpen, eating handfuls of the stuff and playing with it for well over an hour before anyone noticed I was covered in green slimy bits. They washed me off and waited for the symptoms before they rushed me to the hospital (I blame the beer for their lackadaisical attitudes towards my plight!). The symptoms never came. To this day I can roll in the stuff and it has no effect on me.

So yep, let me know if you need some help and I'll mosey on over. I'll need some beer, oysters on the half shell, a thick Tbone and a bratwurst or two to see me through the ordeal however. Don't bother with the playpen though. =)
    Everyone is allergic to poison ivy, but

When I was a kid I went through a 2 year round of shots, don't know what they were but it did make me somewhat resistant to poison ivy.

Over a few years time I began to get it bad again, my body had lost what resistance I had to it from the shots.

Today I can get it just looking at it.

If you expose yourself to it enough, you will get it.

I would rather have a broken bone .

I've had to go to university hospitals in Iowa city to have scabs scraped off me like a burn victim to help with infection, it sucks big time.

Why the lord put that crap on this earth is beyond me.

Don't play with fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mother-in-law was absolutely resistant to it for fifty years. she'd clean it out from her beach, build a big fire, and just shrug it off. Then one year, it finally reacted with her, and we dang near lost the ole girl....
    all my Poulan's are simple, not the newer, colorful ones..and yes, I keep all the outboards, chain saws, weed eaters, and snowblowers running up to snuff!..Gotta be pretty self reliant out here on the Northern Plains....great photo's al; looks like me doing bottom paint every year...
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Oh my gosh Gary, I'm over the fifty year mark! =)

I don't actually roll in it, honest I don't, but I've brushed up against it plenty when I'm out on hikes and so far, knock on driftwood, I'm still immune. Which is a bit weird in and of itself since I'm allergic to nearly everything else out there in the woods. <sigh>

Mostly I just told my story to perk Al up and put a smile on his Poulan weary (yet very knightly), mead besotted face.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

LOL! I've got to admit, and I've spent most of my life around swamps and woods, I've never seen anyone cut up a tree in a Tyvex suit! Whatever works.
    Darrell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast