AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: SURPRISE unconfirmed pair

Default SURPRISE unconfirmed pair

Almost two years ago I bought 10 Albino Turqs from a former SD sponsor. These guys were dime size when I got them. I kept them in 55 and around a year ago I sold 4 of them keeping the 6 I liked best. At nearly two years old I now have two 6", one 5 1/2", two 4 1/2" and one 4". All were kept together the entire time and received the same food and care. I'm going to call the three smallest runts but you might also rightfully call them stunted. A couple of months ago I pulled the smallest three out and put them in a 29. The two at 4 1/2 inch are really quite pretty IMO. Last night I notice one of the two dancing and shimming as if she was going to lay eggs. I was busy with other tanks and forgot about it. Tonight as I was working in the fish room I noticed these two intently facing the side glass. To my surprise, when I looked, low and behold there were eggs. I'm guessing they layed last night so the eggs are about 24 hours old. There are about 160 eggs. 30 are white and the rest are looking real good. I know it will take about another 24 hours to confirm but I've seen enough eggs hatch that I'm feeling pretty good about them being fertilized. Time will tell. This will be interesting. Since there is nothing wrong with their genes the possibility will be some nice healthy Albino Turqs. The biggest question will be getting them to attach and if they can handle them at their size. Here are some pictures.

The Unconfirmed Pair

The Brothers and Sisters

Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: SURPRISE unconfirmed pair

Larry, they are very pretty and maybe a bit small are quite decent looking. Hope to hear you have a confirmed pair shortly.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Those albino eggs look very dark, thought albino eggs are brighter ... Good luck

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Not too bad a grouping either Larry, especially considering they had the whole end of the tank to lay on. Anxious to see your pair confirmation.
    President - North American Discus Association

Cool, neat looking fish. One of these days I would like to get some albino turqs, they are nice looking fish.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Larry, just like I have always thought, size isn't the only thing in a beautiful discus! Yours prove this. Very good lookin'!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Larry, they are very pretty and maybe a bit small are quite decent looking. Hope to hear you have a confirmed pair shortly.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdiscus View Post
    Those albino eggs look very dark, thought albino eggs are brighter ... Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    Not too bad a grouping either Larry, especially considering they had the whole end of the tank to lay on. Anxious to see your pair confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by seanbuehrle View Post
    Cool, neat looking fish. One of these days I would like to get some albino turqs, they are nice looking fish.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Larry, just like I have always thought, size isn't the only thing in a beautiful discus! Yours prove this. Very good lookin'!
    Barb
    Thanks guys. A bunch more white this morning but still about half haven't turned. Even if these guys aren't confirmed this time I would like to pursue them. If they do eventually become confirmed I would like to see what a pair this size can do. I'll give them some time alone in a breeding tank and see what comes. If it turns out to be two females then maybe put them back in with the other three. One of them has been displaying breeding signs for the last few days also. I have a confirmed male blue ss turq. Wonder how he would feel about a small mate.

Barb, guess I'm going to have to give them one of your cones. I may need to get a few more from you lol.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Well the eggs weren't fertile. I put one of Barb's magic cones in with them. Hopefully I can see them spawning the next time and check the tubes out. Think it would be a great project to work with these guys and see how they do if they do turn out to be male and female.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Real Name
    Pat

Bummer Larry, bet one of Barb's cone will help.

I mixed my two females with my mature wild Alenquer, it paired the one of female's and they have a clutch of eggs. I saw the tubes and appear correct for a pair. Filled up my memory card filming the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Bummer Larry, bet one of Barb's cone will help.

I mixed my two females with my mature wild Alenquer, it paired the one of female's and they have a clutch of eggs. I saw the tubes and appear correct for a pair. Filled up my memory card filming the event.
    Hope they are good. Both of those crosses are beautiful and a pairing with a wild would be excellent.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Larry, if the eggs look good at 48 hours I will create a thread for them.

Well it is only 8 wigglers but we have a confirmed pair. Now I can start working on getting the albinos to attach. Once past that hurdle I can see what a pair this size will procuce.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Real Name
    Pat

That is super Larry and congrats. Crossing fingers for attachment which is rather difficult with albinos I understand.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Congrats on the confirmation Larry and on to the next steps.
    President - North American Discus Association

Nice pair good luck with them!
    Jim