Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Heckel/Penanag Eruption croses

Registered Member

Default Re: Heckel/Penanag Eruption croses

James,
    Nice going, any spotted from the cross?

Cliff

Jim, I'm glad Santa was good to you too!....Hopefully, they'll be like those here, and be naturals on attachment....my similar pair has lost interest at the moment, so I'll have to watch yours for a while!...Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

These guys/gals are looking phenomenal! You guys have done an amazing job with them! Looking forward to some juvies in the near future
    When you know a thing, to hold that you know it; and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it – this is knowledge. Confucius

Pierre

NICE!
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Very nice!!!!
    Kraig

Cliff all off spring are striated 9 and 14 bar.
    Gary I am waiting to see how they do on their first go around. I need to isolate them and then we will see how they do.
    Pierre with Gary and myself there should be some nice options.
    Thanks Eddie and Kraig

Jim, looks like my 9 bar / 14 bar pair spawned this evening, but I dont think the male took part; he's just hanging on the front of the glass hunting food!....but at least she put down a big batch of eggs.....Pretty amazing on these fish's timing, in three different locales....Gary

Default Heckel/Penanag Eruption croses

Minnesota and Cali. Spawned that close. Wild. Super awesome to know the internal clock is the same regardless. Great job raising these guys!

Registered Member

Hi all,

I really don't want to offend anybody.
    i hate to burst anyone's bubble here. let's not get too excited about "heckel-Penang Eruption" cross.
    I rather call them Leopard Snakeskin as it's more accurately describe the pattern on the Penang Eruption.
    Penang Eruption is just a brand name from my neighbouring country.

the F1 of two very distinctly different discus strains will only be intermediates.
    they won't exhibit any signs of a new strain yet.
    In fact, you will likely get fishes that will look more like the wild fish with very very strong camoflage bar markings because the wild genes are significantly superior.

you'll need at least a few more generations of inbreeding, line-breeding and then out-crossing again into other heckels and LSS to find different permutations of new strains possible.

but however, you are very much in the right direction and your first step is ingenious.
    I congratulate you!
    it must be very exciting.

update us on your F1's inbreeding programme and what's the F2 like.

since I haven't heard much if anything from Jim and Van, I guess I'll update a bit on this breeding...A pair I have that is composed of a 9 bar and a 14 bar (siblings)..as mentioned before....I pulled around 100 fry from them 2 days ago. All really healthy and vigorous..Unfortunately, I put them in a brand spanking new tank from Petco, and have lost 30 or 40.....Cleaned it really well; haven't a clue what chemical came with it, but I'm down to 1 or 2 losses now...They are some nice confirmation F2's with both 9 and 14 bar fry....I'll try for a few photos, but I'm out of room, so the tank isnt positioned well for paparazzi....With a little luck, maybe there will be a few in this group as nice as their parents, as I'd like a few more for my display tank....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    since I haven't heard much if anything from Jim and Van, I guess I'll update a bit on this breeding...A pair I have that is composed of a 9 bar and a 14 bar (siblings)..as mentioned before....I pulled around 100 fry from them 2 days ago. All really healthy and vigorous..Unfortunately, I put them in a brand spanking new tank from Petco, and have lost 30 or 40.....Cleaned it really well; haven't a clue what chemical came with it, but I'm down to 1 or 2 losses now...They are some nice confirmation F2's with both 9 and 14 bar fry....I'll try for a few photos, but I'm out of room, so the tank isnt positioned well for paparazzi....With a little luck, maybe there will be a few in this group as nice as their parents, as I'd like a few more for my display tank....Gary
    Gary,

Thanks for the update. I only have the 6 9-bars and they were spawning. One of the pair left in the 75 gal tank last spawn produced about a dozen of wigglers but I didn't bother to keep. I've decided to put them all back together in the 75 and let them grow a little more.

Van

I started a new thread for the second generation. Here is the link.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...eration-Begins

Thanks,

Jim

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789