ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heckel/Penanag Eruption croses

Default Re: Heckel/Penanag Eruption croses

I'm headed out the door for a week or longer road trip, but I just came out of 'fish alley' and had to whip out a post. The Heckel/PE crosses are doing spectacular. They are growing like weeds; again I believe a contribution from the Heckel's genetics...There are some Tefe F1's in the same tank, and they are far outpaced by the crosses....A photo when I return, but the future looks good in Heckelville.......Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Latest photos of some of the nine bar fry. The color keeps popping and moving back and down in their bodies. As Gary has mentioned they are agressive feeders and are growing really well with very nice comfirmation. Here are a few photos.

They are 4" plus right now. Note the Heckel bar. Quite a few people have inquired about buying some. I will post some for sale in a week or so. I have some XL wild Heckels coming in and need to make room for them. Those will be used to create pairs with these crosses to try and create a nine bar that produces Heckel looking fry.

Thanks,

Jim
    Last edited by JamesP; 10-30-2011 at 01:57 AM.

They're looking good, matey!..Here's one of their bro's.....

When Jim puts these up for sale, I heartily recommend them on several levels..first, they are some genetically strong Heckel crosses..second, skipping the wild factor, they are some excellent, healthy, colorful fish with fine confirmation.. They'll go well in any setting....JMO

Gary,

Thanks for the support. Yours are looking very nice. I should transition them into RO and drop PH to see their real potential. Right now they are in straight tab water that is semi hard with a ph of 8. The problem is I am always short of ro water as it is and would rather use that for the breeders. As a side note the Tefe's and Heckel/Penang pairs are cleaning so finishing the fishroom plumbing was good timing. Now I need to start installing my 200 gallon holding/automated water changer which will make life much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    They're looking good, matey!..Here's one of their bro's.....

When Jim puts these up for sale, I heartily recommend them on several levels..first, they are some genetically strong Heckel crosses..second, skipping the wild factor, they are some excellent, healthy, colorful fish with fine confirmation.. They'll go well in any setting....JMO

Easy to support great fish and great fish folk!...I have these guys in 6.5ph with TDS at 250....I was considering tossing a handful into the adult Heckel tank, but checking it this a.m., the ph is around 3.8, so that idea's off for me for a while...

I am very new to different type of strains, but these are lovely

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

These Heckel crosses look like they will be eye candy.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Jim, these guys look awesome. I really like the 9-bar ones. I've kept a few heckel crosses and they're always nice fish. I love that center bar.

Ciddian,

Thanks I have really enjoyed raising them.

Thanks Pat. They appear to have more of the Penang reddish vs brown coloration along with the tradition blue striations of the Heckel. If they keep growing the way they are i think they will be very large fish. The male Heckel is one of the biggest Discus I have ever seen. He is at least 8" and a great shape.

Thanks Ryan. I do really like the nine bars as well.

Jim

Just picked up 6 Medium Heckel for my breeding project. They are about the same size as the crosses and should be great tank mates once they go through QT. I will post photos once they settle in.

I might have to try your guy; my guy just bumped his prices up since I put in an order. We'll see come this time next week..BTW, thanks for setting that 65 aside for me..Lost my two male Red Turq's this week, so some of those crosses will go in my domestc breeding line...Heck, they should produce some nice turq's....next year will tell..sorry for the drift...As I mentioned in another thread somewhere, last week I found fungused eggs in the Heckel tank while vac'ing some stuff off the driftwood...Only two suspect females in the tank aren't looking up to par; maybe I never got all the parasites when I rec'd them....Gary

Bummer about the Turq's. Eggs are fun that would be a very exciting development. I ended up with mediums because they shipped the wrong size. Oh well I need to grow out the Crosses anyways. I may order some larges in a week or so. The new ones seem to be settling in nicely. I will send you an email with prices later. Jim

Well in the spirit of Black Friday the time has finally come for me to sell some of the Heckels crosses. I have a limited supply so those of you who are interested should let me know right away. These fish are about 6 months old and 4" plus in size. The details will be posted under the Hobbyist section. Here are a few photos to give you an idea of what they look like.

As a reminder these are a cross between a very large male Blue Faced Heckel and a Penang Eruption. The fry have two distinct bar and coloration patterns. The nine bar have thicker blue striations along with the traditional heckel bar and red markings and halo. The second type has 14 bars and finer blue striation more like a leopard variety. Both will be great additions to anyones breeding program and looking for confirmation and wild blood. Check out the hobbyist section for the new posting with additional photos and pricing.

Thanks,

Jim
    Last edited by JamesP; 11-25-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast