ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Fish Swimming Flat on the Bottom!...something sticking out of it's tail..

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Default Re: New Fish Swimming Flat on the Bottom!...something sticking out of it's tail..

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    The female ray arrived this a.m., speedy, and well packaged..she's in good shape, young, and already making friends..maybe photo's later.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX10R View Post
    Sure will hope you have success with your rays and they breed for you one day.

Sean
    Thanks for sharing Sean and Gary. I would love to try them one day.
    Kraig

Default Re: New Fish Swimming Flat on the Bottom!...something sticking out of it's tail..

Jeff Rapps up in NJ has a bunch of nice rays for sale right now, but rays are not my thing.
    Darrell

I purchased the female from Jeff...He's got some really nice (and spendy) rays..I'm going to focus on these Hystrix for a while. Not too interested in the possible loss of a 1500 - 2000.00 specimen in a learning curve. They make Discus seem 'cheap'...
    Thanks Kraig, maybe a few are in your future. These will eventually make it to my upcoming wild Discus (and others) display...
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

I'm about to make 'Fire Dragon' stir fry..Two PB's are obsessed with trying to get at the ray's eyeballs!...or edges of discs,etc.....bummer....

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Sushi comes to mind
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

My wife just bought a deep fryer.Let's do an Elvis squirrel recipe.Pound'em with a hammer 'til there's no bones,bread'em and fry'em.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    I'm about to make 'Fire Dragon' stir fry..Two PB's are obsessed with trying to get at the ray's eyeballs!...or edges of discs,etc.....bummer....
    I had this happen a few times mostly when my ray was buried in the sand and his eyes were sticking above the sand.
    My wife names my fish

Yeah, that's why I initially put them in a BB tank, to avoid the Heckel's doing just that..But this set of PB's just hover about an inch or less from to ray all day....

There was a Motoro in need of rehoming,due to the owner moving on another forum,so..Minneapolis here I come again!..I'm not keeping him, only sitting him until daughter's bf relocates that big cat......this guy's 12"....cool beans..

Watch it Gary before you know it you will be switching from discus to rays
    My wife names my fish

I don't think so, but in addition to.......they are really cool critter's, for sure!

Hey Gary, what do people do about the spike on those things, cut it off? Probably create a wound ready for infection if a person got hit.
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    Hey Gary, what do people do about the spike on those things, cut it off? Probably create a wound ready for infection if a person got hit.
    They just leave them they will grow until they produce a new one then the old one falls off. Kind of like shark teeth how they keep growing new ones and the old ones fall off. The only time I know of they would clip there barb is during shipping sometimes so they won't poke a hole in the bag. Which happened to me when I sold mine my little ray put a hole in the bags before I even got out the door. Sorry Gary for answering that.
    My wife names my fish

No problem,Sean, glad you did..On which note I'll say this new motoro is nobody to mess with; when I picked him up he was trying to spike anything and everything..sort of deplorable conditions; they took him out of a 220 to tear it down for moving, and had him in a regular 20g with terrible water...I just plopped and dropped him when I got home at 11 pm as to not put the nasty brew in with my fish...The rehome ad said he was 12", more like 14 or better....he's a train wreck in the 180; knocking over breeding cones,etc..what a beast.....black as night...sorta like a living Popeye cartoon monster....

My brother uses a fishing net to move his now they are getting way to big for buckets. His biggest one is that female Jaguar ray and she is 16"-18" now. Makes you nervous moving and cleaning around them when you know they have a 2"-4" barb hanging off there tail.
    My wife names my fish

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast