ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Automatic feeder

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Automatic feeder

Hi all,

Any recommendations for an automatic feeder? I have an Eheim but I am not very happy with the lack of consistency of how it delivers the flakes. Sometimes a lot, sometimes much less. I will need to buy another feeder and would like to get some reviews/advice.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Automatic feeder

I have that same one and its a 100 dollar piece of junk. Glad it was given to me.

I use Eheim programable feeders, a simple machine that will let you program 4 different times, 2 feedings each. I use Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes, and set the opening to the desired amount. I have 4 of them, and the only problem I had with it is when I dropped it in the tank! I never paid more than $50.00 for one. Are we talking about the same feeder?

th-29157-EHEIM-3582-feeder.jpg
    This is the one I have and I hate the thing. I used it for a few days and put it away.

The eheim I have is $35 and works decent. Flake food is tough for most feeders, I always crush my flake up a bit so the portions are more consistent. Its this one:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753147

Quote Originally Posted by jlcoop277 View Post
    th-29157-EHEIM-3582-feeder.jpg
    This is the one I have and I hate the thing. I used it for a few days and put it away.
    That's not the one I have. I purchased my very basic Eheim feeder from a Simply sponsor, David Rose. I'm glad I didn't get the one you have. Sorry for your problem, but glad mine works great. I hope you can find a solution.

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
    The eheim I have is $35 and works decent. Flake food is tough for most feeders, I always crush my flake up a bit so the portions are more consistent. Its this one:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753147
    That is the Eheim model I have. The problem is that bigger pieces of flakes will block the opening and almost nothing will come out of it. On the other hand, when it gets to the part of the containter that has smaller flakes, too much food gets to the tank. As you point out, it might not be the best model for flakes.

Does anyone use the F14 feeder pictured below? It has separate compatments and allegedly has the ability to dispense the precise amount of food you desire.

feeder2.jpg

that f14 looks like the common sense way to portion out the food. no chance of to little or to much. you can see whats dropping in on each section.

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by walt3 View Post
    that f14 looks like the common sense way to portion out the food. no chance of to little or to much. you can see whats dropping in on each section.
    That is what I thought. But has anyone tried it? Any reviews?

There are some cheap ones on eBay. They work the same way as the eheims (I have both) down to the way the settings are. I like the cheap ones better because of the price but the eheims do have a sturdier design.
    Eric

Yeah my answer to the problem was to not use it. Thankfully It was given to me by a friend. He tried it for a few days and hated it too. I've seen it listed at 100 bucks but i think it normally sells around 75-80.