ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thinking about trying out a simple saltwater tank

Default Re: Thinking about trying out a simple saltwater tank

Quote Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
    Let's not scare anyone off here. I agree, it can be an expensive hobby, but you can be smart about it and purchase used items and trade coral frags, etc. You don't need to purchase everything new. Get to know local reefers and get stuff at 50% discounts or more. Just like discus keeping, there are many people jumping in and out of reef keeping and will have nice equipment, coral, etc. to sell off.
    hey Reefer.. whats your opinion on the light described in post #32
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
    Let's not scare anyone off here. I agree, it can be an expensive hobby, but you can be smart about it and purchase used items and trade coral frags, etc. You don't need to purchase everything new. Get to know local reefers and get stuff at 50% discounts or more. Just like discus keeping, there are many people jumping in and out of reef keeping and will have nice equipment, coral, etc. to sell off.
    Totally true. Much of my cost was because I bought the hardware all new. And because it's big. And some of my livestock and corals costs have been amortized over the years, since I started off with a ten-gallon nano and as stuff grew and I became ever more lustful, the tanks grew. And a lot of people go into reefing and get out of it after awhile because they find upkeep and continuing costs onerous... so there are always great used deals and home-grown coral frags around for sale.
    Having said that, though, it drives me nuts when I post a coral for far less than half what it would cost retail, and somebody comes by and wants to knock my price down by half again!
    Last edited by judy; 11-21-2011 at 03:59 PM.
    1250 bb pot-planted: twelve discus (six my babies), cardinal tetras, sidthimunki loaches, angelfish. 35 gallon hex tank: hospital
    40gallon grow out tank: snakeskin juvies

i found a whole group in austin of Salt water people!! its like SD but for Salt!

just not as Fun as SD!!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234