ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: CONFUSED ABOUT GROWTH FOOD

Question CONFUSED ABOUT GROWTH FOOD

I have seen some keepers refer to FZN BW as "empty food", yet I see a lot of breeders use it. My fish love it but If they don't provide nutrients, I'd rather use something else. Would using the Freeze Dried BW be better?

BTW, is there any advantage to using FZN BH over BH flakes? I use Prime Reef over BH flakes because the protein % is higher.

Guess, I wandered all over the place on these questions

Default Re: CONFUSED ABOUT GROWTH FOOD

IMHO frozen CBW is better value for money compared to frozen blood worms. Frozen blood worms contain a lot of water. Whereas the FCBW are solid worms.
    Not quite sure about the nutritional values of both. It's best to feed a variety of foods. I feed mine flake, beef hart (home made) freeze dried and frozen CBW and blood worms.
    As an occational treat they get some live food like white worms and red crawlers.

Blood worms are not a great food as they lack many essential amino acids. Most fish will eat them readily so I'm sure that is why they are popular in general. If you want to feed beefheart but don't want the hassle of making a mix then get some of inland empire discus super beefheart flake. Its pretty much a beefheart mix in flake form. Prime reef is a great food though. I feed my fish super beefheart flake, frozen black worms and NLS pellets. As mentioned above Dan's frozens blackworms are a great value. They are solid blocks of worms withvery little water.
    Last edited by lipadj46; 09-28-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks for the tips about nutrition guys. I will definitely get some CBW. I used the FZD CBW before, it's a little pricey, but I think the shipping costs for FZN CBW equals it out.

BTW- Any difference between Angels Plus BH flake and the Empire brand? I don't want to knock anyone's product, and I use the AP flakes, but I'm always looking for the best for my fish. They are the equivalent of trophy wives, but you all know that already

Quote Originally Posted by henpecked View Post
    Thanks for the tips about nutrition guys. I will definitely get some CBW. I used the FZD CBW before, it's a little pricey, but I think the shipping costs for FZN CBW equals it out.

BTW- Any difference between Angels Plus BH flake and the Empire brand? I don't want to knock anyone's product, and I use the AP flakes, but I'm always looking for the best for my fish. They are the equivalent of trophy wives, but you all know that already
    Yes the super beefheart flake has much more beefheart than any other beefheart flake plus it has pro growth in it.

If you look at the ingredients in Ken's beef hart flakes it is number 11. That should tell you how much BH it has.

Great to know, I'll use both foods on my juvies.