AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Hooking up ro unit.

Real Name
    Zach

Hey guys I'm still struggling with this. So far the only way I could get my ph to stay down was to use a buffer. Now that I'm trying to just mix it I can't get the ph to stop going back up.... I started with 15g to 60g mix then 10 and then 5...... Got my tds in tank down to 98 so far, one more wc and it should be down to around 60. Only problem is that the buffer brought my tds up to 130 but kept 6.2 ph. So, which is more important, having a low ph or soft water. With ph going up, my tank water has a ph of close to 8 and tds of 60-70. Other way is tds 140 and ph 6.2

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    -Zach

Default Re: Hooking up ro unit.

I think you have a good case of 'confusing yourself with the facts'...There are many opinions in the context of what you just posted. Even books written on each facet. I think that soft water and stable TDS is why my fish thrive, but that's my opinion. When I come home from out of town, my fish seem happy. But from the difference in the amts of water I change vs. my wife, the ph differences are scary...fish are usually fine either way, as long as the TDS remains the same, or close...that's my take

FWIW, Jim, Mark, and I all have slightly differing views or approachs on RO, so perhaps there's a case of 'too many cooks'...dunno, matey...
    Last edited by TURQ64; 10-14-2011 at 07:41 AM.
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Real Name
    Zach

Thanks Gary

-Zach

You are welcome. Even now, it's still a case of 'what works for you'...you have the tools; find a spot, and stick to it..Learn how to control it, not the other way around..
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    FWIW, Jim, Mark, and I all have slightly differing views or approachs on RO, so perhaps there's a case of 'too many cooks'...dunno, matey...
    +1. Zach eventually you will find the right formula. Is there fish in the tank now? If there is no bio load the ph isn't going to drop on it's own. I think once the tank is established the water chemistry is going to change again.
    Mark

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Origins View Post
    +1. Zach eventually you will find the right formula. Is there fish in the tank now? If there is no bio load the ph isn't going to drop on it's own. I think once the tank is established the water chemistry is going to change again.
    No mark, no fish. I have two hydro sponges at lfs to be seeded now and will put 6 cories in there today hopefully and get a small bit of bio going in. Then a few days before fish come in I'll go get those sponge and put them in.

Last edited by zchauvin; 10-14-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    -Zach

Quote Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
    Hey guys I'm still struggling with this. So far the only way I could get my ph to stay down was to use a buffer. Now that I'm trying to just mix it I can't get the ph to stop going back up.... I started with 15g to 60g mix then 10 and then 5...... Got my tds in tank down to 98 so far, one more wc and it should be down to around 60. Only problem is that the buffer brought my tds up to 130 but kept 6.2 ph. So, which is more important, having a low ph or soft water. With ph going up, my tank water has a ph of close to 8 and tds of 60-70. Other way is tds 140 and ph 6.2

imo they are both important tds of 130 is fine for wild discus ph over 7.0 ime is too high for wilds. find a medium. to let the ph go from 6.2 to over 7.6 or whatever you were getting is too much of a swing.
    Jim

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    imo they are both important tds of 130 is fine for wild discus ph over 7.0 ime is too high for wilds. find a medium. to let the ph go from 6.2 to over 7.6 or whatever you were getting is too much of a swing.
    Yeah, that's my main worry.
    I don't want the ph doing that after I put it into my tank, that's why I'm trying to find a way to keep it steady before taking out of water storage
    -Zach

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567