ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hooking up ro unit.

Real Name
    Zach

Correct me if I'm wrong for being pissed right now but I checked my ph and tds today.... Tds is 30 and ph is back to like 7.8. Did the Di really do that much... I'm not even sure if its worth it now, feels to me like I spent money and did all this for nothing.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zchauvin; 10-10-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    -Zach

Default Re: Hooking up ro unit.

the tds will be a little higher for the first week or so. yes di will do that but imo it's not worth as much as you will go through.
    my tds tap is about 380+- my ro ph is 6.4 yours should be lower than 7.8. what is your out of tap? check kh and gh
    Jim

Real Name
    Zach

I have no kh or gh test kits and my tap is like 8.1. The first day I ran my unit the ph was 6 or lower. Api test kit showed yellow(6 is the lowest) and now dark blue(7.6 being the higher). With that said the water in my storage container is very dark blue. Id suspect 8 at least. I checked my tank when I got home and with 15 gallons of tap and 60g ro my tds is 168. I figured that was cool and then checked ph-8.1. I then did a 32g water change figuring the higher ph was from my tap I had left before I got unit, while the pump was running I checked my storage to see tds and ph since I removed di yesterday and I saw the high ph of ro water.

I am not sure what may be in your water, but the first thing i would do is get the kh reading. that is very important. your ph can read 8.0 now but if kh is very low it could swing all over. I'm thinking if your tests are all good and everything is working as it should, you may be able to very simply add a discus buffer type product.
    Don't feel bad, I got some heckles a few years back and the new ro unit was reading about 60 tds, that's how I found they take a while. Then about a month later I noticed the tds kept getting higher, i went crazy trying to find out what was piped wrong, what I found was the rubber o-ring/gasket on the bottom of one of the filters was crooked and chlorine was getting into the membrane. they sent me a new membrane and filters and everything was fine.
    nothing worse than when you expect something to be the fix to a problem and it ends up being more of a problem!
    try to get a nutrifin kh/gh test kit.
    Jim

Real Name
    Zach

Yep... I will deff do as you say. My waters buffering capacity must be horrible, I put my brain to work for a few seconds lol. Took my test tube and put it right at the ro water coming out and guess what? Ph of 6 or less, in the tank and storage barrel from earlier high 7-8. My ph spiked from 6 or below to 7-8(or higher) in 24h. My question is how I could buffer the water? Sure they have a neutral regulator to hold a ph steady but what, soon as my storage fills I would have to add it. Theres no way I see of doing it.

your tap must have a very high kh. get the kit first then we can try to figure out which buffer/additive you might need.
    I have been having the same trying to keep the altum water at 5.5. I add maybe 3-4 gallons of tap to about 40 gallons of ro to get a little kh and I keep putting muriatic acid in and it keeps going right back up to 6+. and i hardly have a kh reading at all. I'll figure it, just takes time and something I am short of...patience!
    Jim

Discus buffer works pretty well to buffer water and drop ph but I would wait on that for now.

Where did you get your ro system ?

I've never had a ro put out more than 10 tds before, and I've had tap at 500 tds.

Something doesn't seem right.

I'm wondering how well your tds meter is working.

Here's another thought about testing ph of ro water that needs to be addressed maybe someone more advanced in water can chime in on-

I read somewhere that you'll always get an incorrect reading testing the ph of ro water, I'll try and find that article.

If I remember correctly the filmtec site reports its 100 gpd membranes have a 90% rejection rate while the 50 and 75 are 98%. So if your tds is 400 going in @ 90% your tds will be 40 ? Dos that sound right or am I missing something?

Real Name
    Zach

I have the ocean wave 5 stage ro/Di from the filter guys. Any help here would be nice. I will pick up a test kit for kh and gh tomorrow asap

-Zach

All parts assembled correctly?..Membrane in the right direction?..Pretty strange, as I run a separate RO from the waste of another RO, and altho' the membrane wear is a bit premature, even it reads the same as the base units running on tap, and the TDS going in is over 800...out, around 23
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    All parts assembled correctly?..Membrane in the right direction?..Pretty strange, as I run a separate RO from the waste of another RO, and altho' the membrane wear is a bit premature, even it reads the same as the base units running on tap, and the TDS going in is over 800...out, around 23
    Yeah Gary, that's what I don't understand. I don't know how anything is setup wrong. It came pre put together and I looked over everything several times. It's all in working order. Tds is at 30 as of now, and ph still marking yellow(6). It's just after it had been inside/aged that it jumped back to dark blue, which I would say is 8.1. This was the ph reading of our water last we checked for pool.

-Zach

Real Name
    Zach

Edit.. I added some discus buffer about thirty minutes ago and these are my current readings. Tds out of faucet- 381, tds from ro water storage with added discus buffer-131, tds in my tank-111. Ph in ws is 6ish, tank about 7.6, and tap who knows probably around 8(dark blue)

-Zach

Today when your out and about buy a bottle of aquafina bottled water and test it's tds, I'll do the same.

Tds of aquafina is supposed to be about 4.

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by seanbuehrle View Post
    Today when your out and about buy a bottle of aquafina bottled water and test it's tds, I'll do the same.

Tds of aquafina is supposed to be about 4.
    Will do, I'm going test the ph and tds of my ws right now to see how much the ph jumped with the buffer I added last night.

Last edited by zchauvin; 10-11-2011 at 07:22 AM.
    -Zach

Real Name
    Zach

Ok, tds is 101 and ph about 6.1-6.2. Water has the slightest tint of greenish color but not enough to say anything about. So although my tds went up slightly with buffer added it did dilute some what with the rest of ro. Also the ph seems to be holding so far. Its been about 9 hours since added so I will check again when I'm home from work.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast