AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Food to entice a non-eater?

Registered Member

Default Food to entice a non-eater?

I have a 56 column tank with two discus (3" and 2.5" from same spawn) among other fish (A pair of GBRs, neons, and a few blue angelfish). They have always been together, usually swimming in tandem, never more than a few inches apart. The last few days the bigger discus has been far more active than previously, eating well, and just amazing to watch swim with the other fish. In the same time frame the smaller one has turned dark, stays in its few darker areas of the tank (the spots it would sleep at night) and has not been eating (if it has been, it hasn't been much). I'm trying to entice feeding, so I'd like to know what you guys suggest to try. My typical feeding regimen in this tank is 2-3 meals per day (none wasted) with Kens flakes, frozen blood worms, ocean nutrition discus formula, grindal worms, and black worms all varied daily (flakes are daily, others all rotate). I've tested nitrate as well and its below 5 (this is a HEAVILY planted tank so nitrates are almost never a problem).

I appreciate any help given.

Registered Member

Default Re: Food to entice a non-eater?

I had a similar problem with the smallest of my six juveniles.
    He didnt eat anything for about 5 days and I started to get concerned.
    When i sucessfully finished my beefheart mix this past weekend (2nd attempt)
    he started to slowly join in the feedings. That was Sunday, he (she?) is eating regularly
    but seems to prefer the bh mix over flakes or granules.

The fact that the fish is not eating is a symptom that something is wrong. Healthy Discus eat.

If I were you I'd treat for external parasites first and see if the fish responds. If it doesn't we can take it from there.

It would help if you would fill out the form: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I've seen him pick at the sponge on my filter intake a bit, but he's thin (skull is the thickest part of the body, unlike my other where the whole body is thick)... His fave food has been the bloodworms, but I'm going to go get some beef heart mix. I'd like to put him in a breeder net so I can make sure he has access to food, but I worry about over stressing him.

i think u just need more discus.safety in #s against predators and each other.a 2 fish pecking order is a killer even if u dont see them pecking its cause the little 1 has already submitted and is on a downward spirial id say pull him out by him self and try to get him eating again live blk worms works for me and get some more discus.thats why 6 or more is recomended even more so for a young growout.i killed my first few this way 1st time i had discus its even worse with 3.hth gl
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

Registered Member

CJR - My tank is a bit too small for 6, I'm getting two more tomorrow. I was hoping to pare down to a single pair when they finally mate. I tend to forget that angels and discus are still cichlids and will develop pecking order.

definatly live black worms

If I want to get fish to eat after an illness or treatment I use frozen bloodworms. I'd use live blackworms but don't have a local supplier.

The description you gave is of a sick discus, like Liz said it's probably parasites.

live black worms.

Quote Originally Posted by seanbuehrle View Post
    The description you gave is of a sick discus, like Liz said it's probably parasites.
    yep the effect of what i posted as probable cause.no point fixin the effect if ya dont take care of the cause
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

Registered Member

I got food from my local discus guru, medicated food from angels plus. Hope the poor guy eats some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNif View Post
    I got food from my local discus guru, medicated food from angels plus. Hope the poor guy eats some of it.
    If I were you I would set up a hospital tank for the fish and buy some suggested meds for internal and external parasites.

Luckily your other fish are eating so they will be a breeze to deworm.

It's a pretty easy fix.

Good luck.

I hadn't seen this before..Sean's on the right track..Liz gave you truths..Parasites are lurking in your heavily planted tank. They won't leave willingly..good luck, and you'll need some med's....I'd start with Metro+Prazi..then after a period, a dewormer.. Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    The fact that the fish is not eating is a symptom that something is wrong. Healthy Discus eat.

If I were you I'd treat for external parasites first and see if the fish responds. If it doesn't we can take it from there.

It would help if you would fill out the form: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete
    Not necessarily. There is a difference between a fish that was eating regularly in the same aquarium that its suddenly has stopped eating in. I've had large fish shipped to me that didn't eat for weeks because of the new enviroment. I had a large group of pbass that were winged on feeders that didn't eat for over a month because I refused to feed them feeders. My recent order from Hans included a larger Flatchen that still hasn't eaten and its been almost 2 weeks yet he looks healthy and is very active. It was odd because all the other fish from hans ate almost immediately. He informed me that the larger discus sometime take time in a new enviroment. He's had fish shipped in from germany that didn't eat for 6-10 weeks. I'm not saying your wrong in this particular case just wanted to point out that a fish not eating is not always a sign of a problem.