AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 55 Gal Aquarium in Wall, diy sump, stand, overflow, lighting, diy everything lol

Default Re: 55 Gal Aquarium in Wall, diy sump, stand, overflow, lighting, diy everything lol

Hi Pat!
    Yes, first baby. We don't know what's it going to be so it's super exciting!
    I picked up a 120G tank that I'll set up over the winter, super excited about that also
    I do what I must do, to do what I wish to do!
    dominik

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: 55 Gal Aquarium in Wall, diy sump, stand, overflow, lighting, diy everything lol

How exciting on both the new baby and the new tank, Dominik. The baby will keep you quite busy for a while but the tank will be there when you get some spare time.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Nicola

we speak of light? Congratulations very good

Registered Member

Thanks for responding. That makes perfect sense. I have used canisters for the last 10 or so years, and am in the process of building a fish rack, and am not going to get 4 or 5 more canisters, so I was looking at going down the sump path.

Good luck with the baby, it's an amazing experience. My wife and I had our first child 5 months ago, and I am now only just starting to find a few hours here and there where I can work on my own projects.

Registered Member

Nice setup!

I have a big/complicated question. I'm trying to build a sump for my 720Gal plywood tank and have a 90gal tank reserved for the sump. I have a pond master pump that will cycle 3000gpm.
    I need to ask how exactly the sump works. I haven't done anything yet until I figure out the best method.

I was going to use the (2) existing black overflow walls that were in the 220 but started thinking that I might better build my own because they won't be big or tall enough to handle new 720 gal tank.
    I have detailed drawings which would make it a lot easier to understand what I'm doing but am new to forums & don't know how (or if I'm able) to attach. i either need to build risers for the (2) existing overflow walls I have OR make my own overflow walls out of Something? You used PVC but I'm not sure if I can get PVC big enough for my setup. I do like your drain holes at the bottom but i am really not sure how any of it works. Would greatly appreciate Any help or direction with what I'm trying to do. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by dbfzurowski View Post
    Overflow and sump.

For the overflow I took 4" and 2.5" pvc pipes. I split them into two halves and put one over the other

I drilled holes on bottom and then jigsaw across it. I did it this way so that debris can be sucked out from bottom. With this system I have not once had to vacuum the bottom.
    Much better then traditional overflow from top imo.

Soon after the setup good bacteria/algae started growing in my overflow, good stuff

Drains down to stand. One drain inside the wall, other just barely fits next to my desk.

It all goes to my sump

Now the sump is a 25G high tank. I used 1/4 acrylic to divide the tank into 3 compartments. 1st is to hold my micro sock in place. I am using short 6", 5micron socks. Soon I will get 14" 25-50 micron so that it wont clog so fast. 2nd is where my K1 moving media will go. In mail as we speak. Bioballs have done great so far but its time to rid of them. 3rd is for my 600gph pump. I have it turned down to about 350gph

Digital Finnex heater and fusion700 air pump. All is controlled with switches next to my drains.

Hi Cole,

720G tank? I'm a little jealous

The overflow is simple. Two pvc walls. One in back is solid half of 3" pvc. This determines the water level in the tank. The front pvc is 4". This is longer then the 3" because I didnt want water to overflow this one. Drilled holes on bottom make the water go through the cutouts thus sucking up poop
    I'm building a 120G tank and used same setup on this one. I'm running 800gph and it works great!
    For a 3000gph... you might need to get maybe 8" and 6" pvc. Thats a lot of flow so I just dont know.
    dominik

Dominik...

Brilliant idea on the overflow. I'm going to use it on a tank I'm currently setting up. Well done!
    Melissa

Just be yourself. The people who matter, won't mind.
    And the people who mind, won't matter.

Real Name
    Ricardo

any update Dominick? I know you don't have the house anymore but what about the discus?

Your sump idea looks great. I'm thinking of using a sump for the first time and I'm thinking I may give your setup a whirl. I'm thinking on how I can make it less obvious though, with the holes that is. Do you think if there were holes only on the opposite side, but taller it would work the same? That way, you wouldn't see any holes from a frontal view? Obviously the PVC would still be there but it wouldn't be as obvious.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Hi,
    Baby and fish are doing great
    I am almost done with my new 120G tank setup. Foam fractionator and a 55G sump with full auto water change system. I have redesigned the overflow, you will like it.
    Still using 4" and 3" pvc but no more drilled holes visible and still pulling debris from the bottom of my tank. It's much quieter now.

Need to wait till Sunday for my silicone to dry and I'll fill it up for good now. Hmmm... remember saying that last time...
    Think I'll create a new thread for it. I'll post a link here...
    dominik

Real Name
    Ricardo

Awesome! I'm excited!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Forgive the dumb questions but why 2 drains? What happens if you loose power? I am assuming the water levels in tank and in PVC tubes always stay level?
    Last edited by dirtyplants; 04-04-2014 at 07:47 AM.
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

I'm using 3/4 bulkheads. You only get about 300-400 gal per hour of water flow with this setup per one. Pump i had was 650gph so I needed two. Plus, if one gets clogged...
    Power goes out, water level is equivalent to the height of the inner pvc.
    dominik

dominik

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Freddie

I love this setup and I will probably do this exact setup. I have one question on the overflow. You have one hole drilled on the side with pic going straight to sump and other to wall. What is that configuration, does the pipe run up or just a u back to the main line? Would love if you had a drawing of this. Thanks for any input

Hi there,

You are correct, there is a vent PVC running above tank water level. You defiantly need this to ease with the water flow and also to lower the overflow noise. In my other build, the 125G tank, I redesigned the overflow a bit and it works much much better. Check it out.
    dominik

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456