AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchased this......

Default Purchased this......

http://www.freshwateraquariumplants..../DALLP/57GDLLP

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this 55-75 gallon Discus Plant Package. The guy (Don) is really nice and has been helpful prior to buying it. I wanted to get your opinions though on something. He recommended that I go with a C02 setup and some fertilizing with the Estimated Index Method. I just want to make sure that I keep in mind that I will be adding Discus and I want to make their home as stable and comfortable as possible. Would adding C02 be too much/dangerous for the Discus down the line? If I don't do C02 will the plants suffer?

I could really use some help on this as I want to get things ready before the plants arrive too.

My tank dimensions and equipment (as of today):
    60 gallon tank ( 48 x 25 x 12.5)
    Substrate mixed with fluorite and gravel
    Marineland C360 External Canister Filter
    1 - 200 W Heater
    1 - 150 W Heater
    AquaticLife T5 HO 2-(54W) Plant Bulbs
    Hydor Koralia 750 Powerhead

Default Re: Purchased this......

Okay, so I didn't use CO2 and I got a lot of algae. Added CO2 and algae gone.

Also might need to add nitrates. I had a heavily planted tank and dosed 2ppm daily, checking daily, and it was 0ppm within 24 hours.

I don't think the CO2 in "appropriate" amounts will be bad.

The balancing act of ferts, CO2, and lighting (not to mention the maintenance from planted tank) made me give up. Not that I'm not going to try again one day, but I'm going to need a lot more time available to me to want to try it again.

So not really advice, just my experience.

It was on a 75G tank with 2 adult discus (they acted like a pair and seemed fine by themselves), a few plecos, corys, and nerite snails.
    Eric

How many discus are you planning on keeping? Any other fish?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

If you have done neither plants or discus I would research both and go from there. I have seen others recommend become successful with plants and discus individually prior to combining them.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by grindman620 View Post
    http://www.freshwateraquariumplants..../DALLP/57GDLLP

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this 55-75 gallon Discus Plant Package. The guy (Don) is really nice and has been helpful prior to buying it. I wanted to get your opinions though on something. He recommended that I go with a C02 setup and some fertilizing with the Estimated Index Method. I just want to make sure that I keep in mind that I will be adding Discus and I want to make their home as stable and comfortable as possible. Would adding C02 be too much/dangerous for the Discus down the line? If I don't do C02 will the plants suffer?

I could really use some help on this as I want to get things ready before the plants arrive too.

My tank dimensions and equipment (as of today):
    60 gallon tank ( 48 x 25 x 12.5)
    Substrate mixed with fluorite and gravel
    Marineland C360 External Canister Filter
    1 - 200 W Heater
    1 - 150 W Heater
    AquaticLife T5 HO 2-(54W) Plant Bulbs
    Hydor Koralia 750 Powerhead
    imo I would not mix flourite with gravel, just flourite
    use one heater as main the other a few deg lower as backup
    power head with surface agitation will release too much co2
    I have 2 tek lights with 4 54w bulbs each and it was too much for a 90 so I think you'll like what you picked
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    If you have done neither plants or discus I would research both and go from there. I have seen others recommend become successful with plants and discus individually prior to combining them.
    I have to agree with Pat, I was a complete beginner and bought a large second hand planted tank with 13 discus and other fish. It is not as easy as it looks. Your tank will take a max of six adults, so six juveniles is probably a good bet, but the trouble that you might find with younger fish and a planted tank is that you will need to feed more than three times a day, small amounts, and you need to remove uneaten food and waste so as to maintain good water quality. Uneaten food, especially beef heart and mysis can collect around the base of the stems of plants making them less visible to the eye.

Your set up looks great though, just be aware about cleaning up... corydoras make a good clean up crew but they won't eat beef heart.

Real Name
    Zach

Lol.... When he would have told me about co2 I would've Hung up. You do realize you bought a low light discus setup... Then he says you need fertz and co2. When you have too much or too little of any of those then algae will grow like nuts. If you put co2, ei method fertz and low light you will have algae. Plus, if you try to up your co2 for any reason you will gas your fish. Get a drop checker for sure. Personally with that plant list I wouldn't use co2 or fertz. You will pay 50$ for a months worth of ferts with water changes discus require. If you use Excel or any flourish the val could and probably will melt. Just dis the fert and co2 and put about 120w of light over your tank and you will be good.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zchauvin; 10-14-2011 at 11:13 AM.
    -Zach

Thanks guys for the replies. I REALLY apprecaite the feedback, please keep it coming. It sounds to me like most of you are all for NOT using C02 (at least with my current configuration). I am all about simplicity like many of you. I would love to have a lavish beautiful planted discus tank, but I want to keep it simple and rather algae free. So if I dont use C02 and just possibly use Excel, do you think that would be ok? Or should I just not worry about fertilizing and C02 period? How would I control my algae? Sorry for all the questions, I am just really wanting to set this up right and keep it as easy as possible.

I will be keeping up to 6 Discus max. Probably 5 since there is going to be lots of plants and that will take up more space (keeping to the 10 gallon per discus rule).

Keep the feedback coming please!!

JIMG - I already have the gravel ontop of the flourite. Would'nt it disturb the cycling of the tank to remove the gravel now? I have had it cylcing for approx. 3 1/2 weeks

Real Name
    Zach

I would just leave the gravel. It will help as a cap for the flourite, Jim probably thought you mixed it thinking it coils help out. No biggy, as for the fert, like I said don't use Excel or it will melt the val. You don't have to worry about alge, you have a low light setup. Just put 1 or 2 caps flourish and/or flourish iron 1-2 times a week and you will be good to go.

-Zach

yes it may I would leave it for now. It's up to you to keep it, I just like the flourite straight I kinda meant that as a personal preference, but the roots like finer substrate also.
    Jim

@zchauvin - Sorry I didnt know there was a difference between Flourish and Excel. I thought they were the same thing. So following the method of adding 1-2 capfulls twice a week with Flourish and my current setup, should help these plants stay healthy, green, and growing still?

@jimg - NO problem, I think sand would of looked better to be honest, but I already purchased the gravel and wanted to use it lol But yes, the flourite is on the bottom (about an inch) and the gravel is above it (2 inches about). SO the roots will hold onto the finer flourite easier

Real Name
    Zach

No problem grindman, happy to help. They have flourish trace, flourish, flourish iron, and flourish excel. Excel just has carbon in it so its a crappy way to provide co2 with a co2 system.

-Zach

Yeah being semi new to the whole planted tank aquarium group, can make your head spin
    What helps is being able to talk to people like you who have been there, done that and can really help out with some excellent insight.

Zchauvin- using flourish and flourish iron (as recommended above) will this still make the plants grow, but possibly at a slower rate without the C02?
    This should be a "safer" option for the Discus fish too I imagine?

Real Name
    Zach

Def, it will make your plants grow no problem just not as fast as high tech setup

-Zach

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast