AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Feeding Time: How do you get them to eat dried foods?

Registered Member

Default Feeding Time: How do you get them to eat dried foods?

Hi all,

I have four small red turq's that are nicely settled in an quite happy. I currently have them on a diet of live blackworms but they will eat frozen blood worms. However, I have been told that a mainly blackworm diet is not good for them as the blackworms don't have all the vitamins they need. So the question is: How do I get them to eat flakes and pellets? Is it just a matter of starving them until they have no choice or would it be better to go with a beefhart or similar mix listed in the stickies?

-Nick

Default Re: Feeding Time: How do you get them to eat dried foods?

Yes, it's just a matter of getting them hungry enough, and continual introduction of the new food. Hard to get them off blackworms when they have been an exclusive diet, but do-able...BTW, according to Al's research on FDBW's, they are a total nutrition package..Not suggesting a worm only diet, just clarifying...I have some juvies at present that will eat anything; maybe even gravel!
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Give them the flake in the morning when they're hungriest.I couldn't get my fish to eat tetra bits,and then we had a blizzard and no black worm delivery.Tetra bits were pretty tasty after day 2.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

you will younger fish far more adaptable to different foods than adults but eventually they will get hungry enough to eat what is on offer

my discus were about the size of a golf ball and are now the size of a soft ball on pretty much 100 % live black worms. they appear healthy and plump. it can work... good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill63SG View Post
    Give them the flake in the morning when they're hungriest.I couldn't get my fish to eat tetra bits,and then we had a blizzard and no black worm delivery.Tetra bits were pretty tasty after day 2.
    How did you use them Bill? as a topping on cereal, or straight,like pop rocks?...J/K, of course
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member

Well shoot this is all good info. I was worried that maybe they would be missing some vitamins with a 100% worm diet. The LFS here said that it would be good to feed pellets and frozen blood worms too. The eat the bloodworms but I have yet to get them to eat the pellets. As mentioned though they do eat a food I made from the mixes stickied above. I added centrum multivitamin to this mix so they are getting some vitamins that way. Any idea on how often they might need vitamins supplemented in their diet? From another posting above it sounds like they don't need them with blackworms.