AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 little ones.

Default 4 little ones.

It's been a week and a half since I got four beautiful little Red Discus from the TBAS annual auction. Only about an inch in size. They are hanging around the back of the tank. They were tank born and far from the wild type. They are in a 29 gal. tank. I also have 8 Ameca Splendens, a couple of small BN Plecos and 6 Cory cats in the tank with them.

I'm concern because I feed and sometimes I don't even know if they ate. I'm feeding a wide variety of flakes right now, but they don't come forward to eat.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

"The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult and left untried" GK Chesterton

How small are they? Post a picture.

If they are real small they might not be ready or have been conditioned to eat flake.

Nm I see they are only an inch.

You might want to go get some brine shrimp eggs and hatch them out so they can have something to eat till you figure this out.

I also suggest you get ahold of al the webmaster here and buy a small package of his fdbw and try feeding them those. My fry ate them first time I dropped them in the tank.

Whatever you do you need to do it quick.
    I would get to hatching some brine shrimp real quick.
    Last edited by Sean Buehrle; 10-27-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Default Re: 4 little ones.

They are about one inch in size right now.

I'm going to try to find out what they have been fed since born.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

"The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult and left untried" GK Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb01 View Post
    They are about one inch in size right now.

I'm going to try to find out what they have been fed since born.
    They were most likely fed baby brine and should still eat them.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

I would also think about seperating the rest of the tankmates from them. Sounds like you have alot of competition for food in there. Corys are good cleaners so food wont be there long if they need a bit of time to come out and eat. And I also believe Splendens are a schooling type fish. Might be a bit much activity for such little ones.

I have contact someone who might know the seller. More to come...
    Chris Baez, Jr.

i think you should give them their own bare bottom tank and grow them out until around 3-4 inch them you can add tankmates. and also 29g is REALLY small for 4 discus alone i think you want tank mates and thriving discus upgrade to a 55g AT THE LEAST

Yes, you're right. I do have a 55 gal. they will go into when they get a little more size on them. I don't know if I will have tank mates in the 55 gal. with them, we'll see.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

if the 55 is empty why not put them in there right now and grow them out

Well, it's not empty right now, but it will be in about a week. The Angelfish I have in there are going to a friend's about a mile from me. And I will take your advise on that. I'll just take the substrate out and save it. Make it bare bottom.
    Thanks a lot for the idea. I do appreciate that.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb01 View Post
    Well, it's not empty right now, but it will be in about a week. The Angelfish I have in there are going to a friend's about a mile from me. And I will take your advise on that. I'll just take the substrate out and save it. Make it bare bottom.
    Thanks a lot for the idea. I do appreciate that.
    Honestly atm I would take all the extras out of the 29g, put them (the extras) in the 55g with the angels, and leave the dicus in there. They are 1" right now. They will be lost in the 55g tank. PLUS waterchanges on a 29g versus a 55g at 100% turnover a day will be alot easier.

Good point, and with the price of water here in Florida. I just might take that route.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

OK, since my last post, I have removed the other fish from the 29 gal. tank. The Little ones do look more relaxed and loose.
    I still need to remove the substrate. I have to do that slowly. a little at a time in order not to stress the babies.

I just did a 75% w/c this afternoon, and stare at them for a while. I'm in LOVE...
    The again I love all my fish.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

Update: Unfortunately this morning I woke up to find one of my Little Red ones dead. I don't know why, or how.

My eyes got watery, I prayed, gave him a moment of silence, as his siblings looked on. Then I gave him a free ride in the indoor water slide.
    Not a lot of time to mourn, I still have three that need me, they are looking good. Then again, all four looked great yesterday.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Sorry to read this Chris
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast