AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 4 little ones.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

Default Re: 4 little ones.

Do hope your little starts eating again Chris. Hopefully a worming is all it needs.
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

Chris how is your youngin doing? Has he ate yet?
    Tara Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by TNT77 View Post
    Chris how is your youngin doing? Has he ate yet?
    No, he didn't make it :-( To make things worst, the little Blue Diamond has disappeared from the tank. I have looked everywhere, inside and outside the tank, nothing. I keep looking at the tank hoping to make him appear, like "Hey buddy I'm back."

Now I have three left, two of Joe's Reds, and the Leopard from Angelfish USA.

I have ordered some Metro from Kens. So I will treat the three I have left.

Also, I'm starting to shop for a 125 gal. or 150 gal. tank to set up. I will not buy anymore Discus till NADA. I'm hoping to bring some nice ones from there for that tank I'm looking for. One thing is for sure, I'm not giving up on Discus. My aim is to have a nice collection of Discus, just as I do of Angelfish and Guppies.

I'm thinking of driving to NADA, this way I can take some coolers with me and bring a few Discus back with me.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

"The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult and left untried" GK Chesterton

Sorry to hear that Chris. Do you have any openings on the top of your tank. Could be a jumper. But glad to hear your not giving up. Should be some excellent fish there. I'm hoping to get there myself.
    Tara Bennett

Sorry to hear that mate, it's always annoying when things are out of your hands and things go wrong.
    I had a break from Discus for 3 years when i very 1st kept them, it all went wrong and i said i would never have them again unless i was a lot more informed/prepared next time round!
    Whoever you are and however much experience you have, you will always get a few problems crop up from time to time, that is why there are so many questions asked on Forums like this every day of the week!
    Hopefully your other 3 will be just fine and you can find them some new mates to hang out with in the near future, all the best!

Thanks TNT77 and chiligum. Yeah, it is a whole different ball game than with any other fish.

However, I have kept Guppies and Angelfish for a long time, and I'm still learning and having problems from time to time with them also.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

"The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult and left untried" GK Chesterton

Sorry for the streak of bad luck... Nada should be great! Get your tank ready and keep working with your trio! You are learning every day and that helps us all. Every day we keep at it we learn a little bit more. Hope these three do good - metro is a good drug. Follow the advice on here for dosing though not general dosing directions - learned that and had to treat my first ones twice instead o once for it to work.
    SOS Crew Texas
    Show Committee for NADA 2014 AUSTIN TX

Registered Member

Hi Chris,

Sorry you lost some little guys. I know you worked hard giving them a good home. Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, things just do not work out. Best of luck.

Mike

Thanks Mike. You're right, but we have to keep on plugging. I'm grateful for all you guys and gals here at SD that help keep me going.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

Chris,this post is steeped in sarcasm.What we,I,seem to do best around here,especially for discus noob's,is kill discus.Turn a steely sharks eye to what you have,purchase some new stock and start again.Kill less,start again.My first batch was nine,one survived.Alittle stunted,but my wife finds him pretty,so a limited success.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Thanks Bill, sarcasm is good when it is constructive, and your post is very constructive.
    That's really what I'm thinking. I'll keep these three, but set up the tank and get some new stock and start again.
    I guess that starting with Discus is pretty much like starting with salt water, the first few fish are mostly the sacrificial lambs, sort of speak. I hate to say it like that, but reality sets in sooner or later.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

I for one have not been sarcastic at all. You have to start somewere with discus and I do believe Chris was doing his best. It is a shame when they are lost but it is also a learning experience as to how not to lose more later on.
    Tara Bennett

so sorry to read this........just wanted to wish you luck in your future project.

the first few fish are mostly the sacrificial lambs, sort of speak. I hate to say it like that, but reality sets in sooner or later.
    yeah, I'm well aquainted with this. my 1st are still alive (dumb luck I keep saying), but hey I have learned SO MUCH from them! and from this forum
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

I do want to thank everyone at SD. For the most part everyone has been very patient and helpful. If I still have these three left, I owe it to you guys and gals here at SD.

Again, I will not give up on Discus. I am well aware that there is a learning curve that hits some harder than others. I keep the three I have left and give them a lot of TLC, because I do love them.

It does hurt to loose even one, but just as a boxer must get up and keep punching after being knocked down, I'm ready to go on with what I have. And I will get more in the future. Like the song says: "Ain't no stopping us now." :-)
    Chris Baez, Jr.

I want to say this like my fourth cycle buying discus,and each time got a little better,and the fish grew up a little bigger.Actually been selling off some of my older fish that were stunted,or now I see they don't look right.I was up front with every person,and would point out what I thought was wrong,but also why they were so cheap.I'm no expert by far,just better at it then when I started.Watch out for the three,bad number for discus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567