AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: how long to seed aqua clear 70?

Default how long to seed aqua clear 70?

i just added a aqua clear 70 to my 75 gallon along with my ehiem 2217. wondering how long it would be before it is loaded with good bacteria? tank has been up for about 2 plus months. i have 2 foam blocks and 2 bio- bags on top. i added this filter to help remove extra particulates from the water mainly and to have a seeded filter for a quarantine tank later. thanks, walt.

Default Re: how long to seed aqua clear 70?

are there any fish in your 75g?

i would think at least a few weeks.. but if its for qt tank.. then you don't move it till you have to move a fish
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

When I seed my aquaclears, I take a seeded sponge filter and squeeze it in a bucket, then take the new sponges from the aquaclear and squeeze it in the bucket to absorb all the bacteria I dumped from the other foams. I have found this method to work extremely well over the past few years. I also do the same when I replace one of the foams in the aquaclear, never replace the 2 at the same time, add a new foam on top of an old one. Once the 2nd has had time to seed you can replace the 2nd one. You'll find aquaclears are great filters.
    Jorge Q

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAngels View Post
    When I seed my aquaclears, I take a seeded sponge filter and squeeze it in a bucket, then take the new sponges from the aquaclear and squeeze it in the bucket to absorb all the bacteria I dumped from the other foams. I have found this method to work extremely well over the past few years. I also do the same when I replace one of the foams in the aquaclear, never replace the 2 at the same time, add a new foam on top of an old one. Once the 2nd has had time to seed you can replace the 2nd one. You'll find aquaclears are great filters.
    Good method, but why would ever need to replace the foam that comes with the AC unless it's damaged? Mine just get squeezed out and rinsed with tank water. Seems like they are built to last long time.

thanks. the tank has 6 discus, 24 cardinals, 12 lemon tetras, 9 cories ,3 brush nose pleco. i will leave it there until i need it. i had a aqua clear 110 back in the day that i loved. didnt want one that big on this tank, worried about to much flow. i still had to slightly trim the edge of the oceanic plastic rail to get it to sit down all the way. also needed to use the leveler all the way out to keep the return from making too many bubbles. dont like that look as i already have a airstone. i think it will be a nice little addition. thanks for the seeding tips. walt.

Great question, you'll see that it begins to shrink and loose body after some 9 months and find that you need to replace after about a year. But if you stagger the replacement by a good amount, you'll guarantee a nice seeded sponge always. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
    Good method, but why would ever need to replace the foam that comes with the AC unless it's damaged? Mine just get squeezed out and rinsed with tank water. Seems like they are built to last long time.
    Jorge Q

Walt, you are very welcome. I run 2 AQ's 70 on my 75 Gal aquarium and like you I had to mod the tank rim also, but worth it as the filters are awesome. take care.

Quote Originally Posted by walt3 View Post
    thanks. the tank has 6 discus, 24 cardinals, 12 lemon tetras, 9 cories ,3 brush nose pleco. i will leave it there until i need it. i had a aqua clear 110 back in the day that i loved. didnt want one that big on this tank, worried about to much flow. i still had to slightly trim the edge of the oceanic plastic rail to get it to sit down all the way. also needed to use the leveler all the way out to keep the return from making too many bubbles. dont like that look as i already have a airstone. i think it will be a nice little addition. thanks for the seeding tips. walt.
    Jorge Q

yes. very happy with the extra filtering of particulates in water. i actually realized what are the small dust like particles.... they are the dieing remains of my crazy algae i was infested with. i reduced the lighting and i think ive turned a corner with much of it. what used to be covered with ugly hair and staghorn algae has melted away! glad its moving in the right direction. walt.

Registered Member

Hey CrazyAngels:

I was planning on running 2 AC 70s on a 75 gallon bare bottom and wanted to know how that setup was working for you? Do you find that the 2 AC 70s are providing enough filtration (mechanical and biological)? How many discus do you keep in your 75 gallon? How often do you find yourself doing WCs? Please advise.