ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: "Best" Filtration 155g

Registered Member

Default "Best" Filtration 155g

Other than continuous water change,
    Just wanting to start out the right way

Tank 155 Bowfront, tank is drilled with overflows, can use them or plug them off
    Substrate, Pool Sand
    Hard scape , Manzanita branches
    Fish size 3"-4"

Looking for whats the best, good choice on the filtration option, Store bought or DIY

So what do you suggest and why
    I have thought of everything from algae scrubber to ion resins

Thanks
    Ken

Default Re: "Best" Filtration 155g

any sump either diy or store bought .diy alot cheaper do a simply search on sumps you will get all kinds of diy info.better for bio and adds more gallons to ur system.ex.155gal tank 30gal sump u got a 185 gal system.and u can hide stuff in there to like heaters.as far as wat kind of sump trickle,submerged ceramic,fluidized bed/bubbler 1 its just prefrence.i like this he likes that and so on they all work very good hth goodluck
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

i run my 125 with two AC110's..very sufficient at keeping tank clear. easy maintenance. just pull sponges, rinse, replace. no hastle with canister underneath cabinet.
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
    i run my 125 with two AC110's..very sufficient at keeping tank clear. easy maintenance. just pull sponges, rinse, replace. no hastle with canister underneath cabinet.
    I think this is the least costly and most effective route for grow out tanks. The 110's work hard and push a lot of water. For a show tank, nothing beats a sump.

Quote Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
    I think this is the least costly and most effective route for grow out tanks. The 110's work hard and push a lot of water. For a show tank, nothing beats a sump.
    A sump does give you great options, I use them myself. The main problem with show tanks and sump filters as I see it, is the overflow boxes. There really is no good way to hide them. You can cover them up, but everyone still knows it's an overflow box.
    Darrell

I assume this will be a show tank. I have used a few systems over the years, HOB, sponge filters etc. About a year ago I build my first sump and I can't see a reason to use anything else. Supreme filtration and you hide everything in it. I always hated having heaters inside a display tank. Now, buy or diy? Your call. I see sumps cost $200 + pump. I build mine out of a 25gal tank and it cost me ~$100 + pump. Damn acrylic is expensive. Super easy to do. Last one I build has K1 moving bio media, extremely happy with it.
    I do what I must do, to do what I wish to do!
    dominik

Registered Member

Hi

I am now setting up a 280 gal as my first discus tank. Using the advise I got here I have made my own sump. I used a 75 gal tank I had laying around added a sponge partition, floating bio and air stones on one side and return pumps and heaters to the other side. I have just finished the plumbing and plan on adding water tomorrow. It was easy to do, many thanks to Darrell for the advise and the plan.

No matter what filter you pick as long as it is rated for the size of the tank you are setting up and you do your water changes and maint. on the filter you should be fine.

Luck,
    Mike

sumps are great but for $200 you can get a fluval fx5 from amazon and throw in some sponges and matrix ans call it good

Registered Member

Thanks for all the feed back,

I was going to go for 2 Fluval FX5 Canister Filters and add 2 Hydor inline heaters, but I stumbled across a deal for the EHEIM Professional II with Thermofilter for Saltwater @ Petsmart for $249each, so I don’t have to rig something up to match up the different hose sizes.
    $75 or so less

Next step is to buy or build a stand
    Kn