ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How do you give a methylene blue bath?

Registered Member

Default How do you give a methylene blue bath?

Hello,

I am trying to find the directions on how to give a methylene blue bath for a sick Discus?

Please post a link or let me know how I need to administer one!

Thank you for your help,

Default Re: How do you give a methylene blue bath?

From Kordon

http://www.kordon.com/kordon/methylene_blue/index.htm

Prevention or treatment of fungus on fish eggs:
    (a) Remove carbon from the filter and continue to operate with mechanical filter media.
    (b) Add 1 teaspoon of 2.303% Methylene Blue per 10 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 3 ppm. For increased concentrations, add approximately 1/3 teaspoon (1.64 ml) per 10 gallons for each required 1 ppm increase.
    (c) Only one application is needed. Treatment should continue for 3 days past free swimming stage or for livebearers 2 days after birth.

Prevention or treatment of fungus or external parasitic protozoans:
    (a) Remove carbon filter and continue to operate with mechanical filter media throughout the treatment period.
    (b) Add 1 teaspoon of 2.303% Methylene Blue per 10 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 3 ppm. Continue the treatment for 3 to 5 days.
    (c) Make a water change as noted and replace the filter carbon at the conclusion of the treatment.

As an aid in reversal of nitrite (NO2-) or cyanide (CN-) poisoning of marine and freshwater aquarium fishes:
    (a) Remove carbon filter and continue to operate with mechanical filter media throughout the treatment period.
    (b) Add 1 teaspoon of 2.303% Methylene Blue per 10 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 3 ppm. Continue the treatment for 3 to 5 days.
    (c) Make a water change as noted and replace the filter carbon at the conclusion of the treatment. parasite protozoans."

For use as a dip for treatment of fungus or external parasitic protozoans and cyanide poisoning:
    (a) Prepare a nonmetallic container of sufficient size to contain the fish to be treated by adding water similar to the original aquarium.
    (b) Add 5 teaspoons (24.65 ml) per 3 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 50 ppm. It is not recommended that the concentration be increased beyond 50 ppm.
    (c) Place fishes to be treated in this solution for no longer than 10 seconds.
    (d) Return fish to original aquarium.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Good to have you back bro!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Thank you very much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thome25 View Post
    Thank you very much!!!
    Anytime buddy!
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by yim11 View Post
    Good to have you back bro!
    Great to be back Jim....missed the love!
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Be aware the meth blue will kill your biofilter. If possible, remove the fish into a bucket of tank water, put in an airstone and some way to keep the water from cooling quickly (I put the bucket in a kitchen sink full of warm water). Add the appropriate amount of meth blue and leave the fish in the bath for 30 minutes-- watch them carefully, if they start to go sideways, put them back in the main tank by netting them. don't pour the bucket into the tank. you can do this treatment twice a day for three days. they should be helped by it.
    Missed you, Eddie!!!!! good TO SEE YOU BACK!
    1250 bb pot-planted: twelve discus (six my babies), cardinal tetras, sidthimunki loaches, angelfish. 35 gallon hex tank: hospital
    40gallon grow out tank: snakeskin juvies

Quote Originally Posted by judy View Post
    Be aware the meth blue will kill your biofilter. If possible, remove the fish into a bucket of tank water, put in an airstone and some way to keep the water from cooling quickly (I put the bucket in a kitchen sink full of warm water). Add the appropriate amount of meth blue and leave the fish in the bath for 30 minutes-- watch them carefully, if they start to go sideways, put them back in the main tank by netting them. don't pour the bucket into the tank. you can do this treatment twice a day for three days. they should be helped by it.
    Missed you, Eddie!!!!! good TO SEE YOU BACK!
    Thanks Judy, glad to be back. Good call on the bio-filter!
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Eddie, you indicated bath for no more than 10 seconds (and I read somewhere the same) while Judy leave the fish in the bath solution for 30 min. Can you tell us what is the correct bath duration? She also suggested repeat treatment twice a day for 3 days. Comments?