ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild Cuipeua's from Discus Origins

Default Wild Cuipeua's from Discus Origins

Well Pat and Matt posted pics so I guess I had better also. I drove 6 hours down from Atlanta to Ocala to pick these guys us from Mark and it was well worth the trip. We planned the pick up so Pat and I would both pick our Cuipeua's up at the same time giving us all a chance to meet and talk. It was a great couple of hours spent at Mark's place. Mark has just set up shop in a warehouse location and with a partner is opening up a store front. Their intent is offer hard to find fresh and salt water fish and corals. They have an amazing selection of hard to find corals and an equally impressive selection of salt water fish. Our Cuipeuas were the first shipment in for the fresh water side. These guys have been in the tank for two weeks now and are really starting to color up. It has taken nearly the full two weeks for them all to really eat with gusto. Two of the solids figured out how good Al's FDBW's are pretty quickly but the other 3 took their time. Tank glass is dirty but here are the pictures. Enjoy.

The Wild Greens lined up in front of the tank wondering why I wasn't taking their picture.

Last edited by Larry Bugg; 11-28-2011 at 12:01 PM.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Wild Cuipeua's from Discus Origins

Larry, it was sure nice to meet you and the two hour pow wow with both you and Mark was a unique and special experience for me. It was nice to talk discus vs write discus

Your guys are looking great and some nice color showing up.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Matt

Very nice fish you got Larry!!
    -Matt

Very nice looking fish! Congrats!

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Real Name
    Mauro

Beautiful! The royal discus, like the one in the first pic, are outsdanding. Congrats for the new aquisitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Larry, it was sure nice to meet you and the two hour pow wow with both you and Mark was a unique and special experience for me. It was nice to talk discus vs write discus

Your guys are looking great and some nice color showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Very nice fish you got Larry!!
    Thanks guys. It will be fun to compare. Pat and I have already started talking about trading fry, if we get that lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    Very nice looking fish! Congrats!
    Thanks for the compliment. I'm very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post
    Beautiful! The royal discus, like the one in the first pic, are outsdanding. Congrats for the new aquisitions.
    I thought I really liked the solid wilds better but having this guy in my tank is changing my mind. He is outstanding and I can't wait to see what he looks like 6 months from now. He is the biggest of my group, somewhere between 7" to 8" and definitely at the top of the pecking order.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Real Name
    Pat

Larry, he is also red-based which I which I like better then my brown based royal.

Larry, he is also red-based which I which I like better then my brown based royal.
    Lol, I was leaning towards the one you got when I first saw them. It wasn't easy making the choices. I am VERY thankful that we had somone with a great background in Wilds like Mark to help us with the decisions. What a great guy to do business with and to have as a future resource. I have no doubt that we are both going to be extremely pleased when they are completely settled in. Is there a way to put a block on his postings????? I don't think I can stand to see his next preview. I don't want to cross but wouldn't some really nice red Curas look nice with these guys. Or maybe that other Royal that I wanted. I have to get busy and sell some more of my fry and odd ball adults............................
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

All in all, you guy's scored some very fine fish..everyone did bang up!....
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Real Name
    Pat

Larry, one exchange I had with Mark regarding acquiring royal Cuipeua's was that the Curuas come from a river which drains into the lake containing the Cuipeua's so should be quite compatible even from a breeding aspect.

Mark, if I have this wrong please correct. Like you Larry I feel lucky to have someone like Mark "in my backyard" if you will. He have been a great help in fielding questions regarding the Cuipeau juvies.

You know Mark's next posting will be RSG. lol. I know you hate those wild greens.

LOL, I have a 125 full of Greens. It is the Reds that are on the list. I get confused trying to keep up with the names I can't pronounce. Here is what Mark posted.

Re: October Availability- Alenquer Region
    Slight variations.. Cuipeuas get red, Curais will get dark reddish brown, the Curuas golden brown.

Here is the google map of the area. The blue dot is Cuipeua.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Real Name
    Pat

Dang Larry, who knows. I google mapped Cuipeua and it went to Cuipeua - Pará Brazil so my guess is the Cuipeua wilds come from one of the nearby lakes. But you mentioned Curais and not Curuas so my post is mute.

Dang Larry, who knows. I google mapped Cuipeua and it went to Cuipeua - Pará Brazil so my guess is the Cuipeua wilds come from one of the nearby lakes. But you mentioned Curais and not Curuas so my post is mute.
    Well dang Pat. Looks like I forgot to include the link to the map lol. Here it is. http://www.maplandia.com/brazil/para/alenquer/cuipeua/ It is interesting that the satellite map show Cuipeua as being on water but when you change it over to the regular map it shows a long way from the water. Guess the satellite image must be from during the raniy season.

It was if a light switch was thrown on my guys. They have been fairly shy up to this point always hanging out under the shadow a a large piece of manzanita. Went home from work yesterday and they were out and about like they owned the tank. It was a good feeling to see them make this transition.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Real Name
    Pat

Pretty different map view Larry. I have mine under a weak light and they have not made that transition. Bet it is a cool sight to see these beautiful fish marching across the tank.

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

That's a cool map Larry.....if you zoom out a few times you can actually see other locations such as Curua, Curuai, and Nhamunda. Its almost like we've been there
    Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast