ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HPS series FINNEX glass digital heaters - JUNK!!!!!

Default Re: HPS series FINNEX glass digital heaters - JUNK!!!!!

I originally bought them for tank sumps, but they went to my barrels after the first one shorted out...then they continued to die there, but like my tanks, there are multiple heaters in the containers..Just nothing live to worry over...Funny, I think I prefer glass tubes; then I can see the workings, and have a bit of a clue what's going on. In the meantime, Finnex(Azoo) continue to rip folks off with these...I bought some deep blue heat sticks..they don't heat for crap, but they continue to work, at least, unlike Finnex....
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Finnex is Azoo? Well, I'll second the rip off then. I bought their powerhead pumps... the 1200 doesn't work very well at all. I'm going to try the other one I bought this weekend. Suppose to do 660gph... we'll see.
    Eric

Regarding heaters, I prefer in-line. It keeps the tank from looking cluttered, no chance of burning the fish on contact - even though heater company's claim they don't - even heat distribution, nor do you have to remember to unplug and replug for water changes!! I have one for each of the big tanks attached onto the outgoing tube from the canister filter.

Hydor ETH In-Line Heaters 200W or 300W starts at around $35. You can get it from the usual online stores, but the funny part is it's cheapest at Linens'N'Things! Lol. Here's the link: http://www.lnt.com/product/heaters/1...ne-heater.html
    Enjoy!
    ~MLM~

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    Finnex is Azoo? Well, I'll second the rip off then. I bought their powerhead pumps... the 1200 doesn't work very well at all. I'm going to try the other one I bought this weekend. Suppose to do 660gph... we'll see.
    Look at the Finnex on Kensfish, then look at the Azoo on Foster&Smith..Same-o, same-o
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I had three of these heaters fail, just removed from tanks and trashed for safety reasons. Took the lost and didn't want replacements based upon info from the forum here....
    farebox

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.514034,-98.689221

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    Why have a backup that's undependable??..Buy a Jager for backup, and you'll be fine...
    Why have any heater that's suspect? They're easily the least reliable components in aquarium systems, so it pays to get the good stuff.

I just use Jagers, period. Tried & true. Still the best, imo, and at Ken's prices, they're worth every nickel. They're big, ugly, old fashioned & a little fiddly to calibrate, but they just work. The borosilicate glass tubes are a lot thicker & tougher than one might expect, too.
    John

Wow, I was really surprised to hear all these bad things about finnex heaters. I personally never had any issues with any of their heaters for years (knock on wood). Although, I'm a newbie when it comes to discus, I've been raising freshwater for almost 30 years. Actually I'm in the market for some better lighting for my new 120gal discus tank and was interested in some of the finnex light fixtures.

Real Name
    Boyd

I understand what some members say about reading different post.....I just read a thread that gave great reviews about the Finnex, and their controllers from Kensfish ? I usually look at who has the most post when reading these responses, keeping in mind that all products have bad items at times.

I just lost 2 in the span of 10 months... Which is funny, because I bought them 10 months ago...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12