AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: young discus with clear jelly like segmented feaces please help !

Registered Member

Default young discus with clear jelly like segmented feaces please help !

This is my new discus only had him a week unfortunately i didnt QT him and im worried he has internal parasite of some kind he shares a tank with currently only 2 other discus and 3 corys (fairly new tank and wanting to get a group together slowly)

I have a 180 litre corner tank with
    gravel substrate
    driftwood
    couple of plants
    fluval external filter
    its been running 3 weeks and i set it up with a mature ext filter from my larger tank

ammonia 0
    nitrate <10 ppm
    nitrite 0
    temp 30 deg c
    P.H constant 7.8 ,(water changes are with treated aged tap water well aerated and heated, 30% changed every 3-4 days)

i cant post pics but its like normal poop but split up and linked by clear jelly like stringy stuff

iv took 2 close ups of the feaces once i netted it off the gravel but like i say im not allowed to post any pics

The brown discus in question doesnt eat as well as the others he will not seem as interested in food where as the others are eating really well they all seem happy though and swim around fine none are hiding or anything, no clamped fins or odd gill movement

I try to keep their diet mixed and i feed a mixture of frozen discus food mix, frozen brine shrimp, tetra pro colour and other flake food

im quite new to discus but i know odd feaces is not good , im worried what is wrong and how best to treat any help would be much appreciated
    many thanks craig

Default Re: young discus with clear jelly like segmented feaces please help !

Slow additions of unquarantined fish is always a chance for problems...The 'clear' stuff is likely intestinal casing..The gravel will cause problems hiding nasties...Fish can take a long time to acclimate, but three weeks should be enough, so not eating is a possible sign of the onset of internal flagellates...Do you have a tank for qt or hospitalization?
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member

Hi thanks for the response i can soon get hold of another small tank if need be, just to be clear iv only had him 1 week iv had the tank set up 3 weeks
    i just dont want anyhting passing on to my others , so do you think i should seperate him until i figure out the problem or until his feaces turns normal
    thanks

Tough call for me, as I can't see the enviroment...It could be the other way around; the tank may be bad for the new fish..I'd likely keep an eye on things and see if the fish settles in, or goes downhill before anything drastic. But you should qt any future additions (we're talking weeks; do a search on qt)..A three week old tank isn't exactly 'old shoe'..might need more cycling
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member

ok will do thanks for your help

Registered Member

my poor discus is still not eating and still same poop !

try a metro treatment for 10 days

Registered Member

Hi i have read about this treatment but being in the U.K it seems it is only available in the U.S? .... at least on the net
    would you know where i can get this from
    thanks

Keep bumping up this thread until you have enough to post pics. Segmented indicates tape worms, but tapes are not jelly-like. It sounds like hex to me. In the UK metro is available by veterinary prescription only. And since vets there mostly don't treat fish it's difficult indeed.

Go to BIDKA and contact some of the sponsors there. If you purchased your fish from them one may be willing to help you out. Aternativly, you might find someone in the States who would sell it to you and lable the box as fish supplies. I did that for friends over there many times until one took advantage of me.
    Mama Bear

Clear feces ime usually is a sign of worms. white feces is usually flagellates/bacterial. that is not rock solid though, just what I have seen myself, can be either. If their not eating I would say flagellates. jelly feces is mucous from intestinal irritation.
    you can get wormer plus in UK No? that is flubendazole which could treat both.
    But since their new I would up the temp to 88 and do big daily wc's and see how they do. feces changes can also be from stress.
    Jim

Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys , i can get wormer plus yes i think i will order some just to take stock so i am ready if need be , as for the metro i have seen some on ebay at reasonable price which is from U.S so it will take a while to come but obviosly i need to be sure before treating with any meds . Although is it ok to use wormer plus anyway just to be safe ? And should i always use that during quarantine when iget a new fish? Hopefully i can get some pics up soon i just need some more posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigyboy View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys , i can get wormer plus yes i think i will order some just to take stock so i am ready if need be , as for the metro i have seen some on ebay at reasonable price which is from U.S so it will take a while to come but obviosly i need to be sure before treating with any meds . Although is it ok to use wormer plus anyway just to be safe ? And should i always use that during quarantine when iget a new fish? Hopefully i can get some pics up soon i just need some more posts
    I use flubendazole on all my new wilds. flubendazole will get a wider range of parasites. I would.
    Jim

Registered Member

Also just to add i have bumped up the temp slightly so its now up to 32 deg c and i will put an airstone in there for more aeration tomorrow. I have just ordered some marine reef flakes as iv heard it is irresistable for discus, see if i can get him eating. Just not sure how long to give him now the last time i saw him eat was at least 4 days ago on the last of the live blood worms

good luck with them. a healthy discus eats!
    Jim

Registered Member

thanks il update thread if i make any progress. Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast