ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Does anyone know if HITH can kill within 24 hrs? pics inside

Default Does anyone know if HITH can kill within 24 hrs? pics inside

My Blue Turq had been getting HITH off and on for a few months now. It would show up then go away then show up again. Well this past Saturday night I noticed it was coming back so I decided to wait until morning to see if there was any changes. I woke up Sunday morning to this (pics below) I quickly moved the fish and started metro the fish was also head standing. By Sunday evening he was swimming normal again but by Monday morning the fish was dead. I am shocked how fast and severe this showed up on his face and spread rapidly. It went from a few small whites spots to his face looking like this overnight. No other fish in my tank has shown any signs of a problem. Just trying to learn something here on what might of happened.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sean
    My wife names my fish

Default Re: Does anyone know if HITH can kill within 24 hrs? pics inside

If your other fish are healthy my thought is that this one fish had underlying problems.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If your other fish are healthy my thought is that this one fish had underlying problems.
    Hi Liz,

I was wondering that myself and that is why I came here for input. I have never seen HITH spread this severe in less then 8 hrs. Thank you for your input on this.
    My wife names my fish

Registered Member

It looks like the HITH pits have a secondary bacterial infection. Do you have a UV filter on your tank?

I had it wipe out about 6 discus in a couple weeks in the 80's, small pimple in the am large crater pm. never had it again thank God. I would try metro on the others and see how it goes, as far as i understand no one knows whether it's flagellates or vitamin deficiency.
    Jim

I've been very lucky over the years to have had few problems with fish, so I'm no expert. However, I've never heard of HITH spreading that fast and killing a fish in 24 hours. I tend to think it was something else.
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 11-23-2011 at 08:10 AM.
    Darrell

Thanks everyone for the replies I will just keep a eye on the rest of my fish. And Vee to answer your question no I do not run UV on this tank.
    My wife names my fish

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Wow Sean, really sorry.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

There was a bout of hole in the head I had to deal with last year and took the approach that it was either a vitamin deficeincy or flagellates.
    From reading other posts both schools of thought made sense to me so I treated the fish by de-worming, fine-tuning the diet and increasing maintenance.
    To answer your question, the fish that was being treated would darken quickly from normal color, enough to put a scare into me.
    In the end he rebounded with the treatments and has remained fine since then.
    I do have a question related to one of the posts by Vee.
    Why did you ask if a UV filter was being used?
    Thanks.
    Chris V.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Wow Sean, really sorry.
    Thanks Pat hate to loose a fish but this happened so quick I didn't have time to treat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevoe View Post
    I treated the fish by de-worming, fine-tuning the diet and increasing maintenance.
    I have not done any deworming I also feed my fish frozen blackworms, frozen bloodworms, earthworm sticks, and color bit with garlic. That is one thing I have started doing in the past month or so is doing a better job of cleaning and maintenance on my tank. I do a top to bottom cleaning once a week now instead of once a month.
    My wife names my fish

Registered Member

I have one that developed HITH a couple weeks ago. Hospital tank, General Cure (metro and prazi), and the usual food and it's gone... flagellates lookin' good here for this Crime Against Discus...
    1250 bb pot-planted: twelve discus (six my babies), cardinal tetras, sidthimunki loaches, angelfish. 35 gallon hex tank: hospital
    40gallon grow out tank: snakeskin juvies

Sean,

When you treated him for HITH before did all of those spots disappear or were they always kind of there?

Mishka

Quote Originally Posted by chaoslite View Post
    Sean,

When you treated him for HITH before did all of those spots disappear or were they always kind of there?

Mishka
    Hi Mishka,

I never treated this fish before he would have a few spots show up but they always went away by the next day. Then he wouldn't have any spots again for a week or two then they would show up again out of no were and go away. My Brilliant Turq when he got it they showed up and kept getting worse so I ended up treating him. That is why I started this thread trying to figure out could the HITH of come on that strong that fast or was this something else that killed him. My Brilliant Turq took a few days until it started getting bad enough I had to treat him. But this was overnight it showed up this bad.
    My wife names my fish

Registered Member

I now kinda think flagellates are at the root of HITH, after seeing mine turn around with no diet change and just the meds -- and if so, just because the visible spots went away doesn't mean they weren't doing their dirty work on the fish invisible to you-- which would mean it didn't take 24 hours, but a much longer time during which the fish went untreated and the flagellates progressed to finally doing fatal damage
    1250 bb pot-planted: twelve discus (six my babies), cardinal tetras, sidthimunki loaches, angelfish. 35 gallon hex tank: hospital
    40gallon grow out tank: snakeskin juvies