AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: potential purchase of used aqarium - need expert opinions pls! (info & pics)

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Re: potential purchase of used aqarium - need expert opinions pls! (info & pics)

Yea, with Craigslist you can occasionally find some great steals. Bill's right, don't jump the gun. Research what tanks usually go for in your area, then visit the site a lot and jump quickly when one of the steals comes along. I agree with Bill too that tanks in the 70 gallon range are a good size to work with.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member

Default Re: potential purchase of used aqarium - need expert opinions pls! (info & pics)

A garden hose is all I have ever used. Should I switch to something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Chris, never use a garden hose...only a potable water hose. There are anti-mold and anti-bacteria treatments in the garden hose which can kill your fish.

Thank God for spell checkers this late at night....especially after wine.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Dennis, the anti-mold and anti-bacteria treatments in garden hoses can kill your fish. I would suggest potable hoses used for RVs and such and are used for drinking water.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 11-24-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

A big +1 on the potable water hose. You might be fine with a cheap garden hose, but for about $10 this time of year it's really really cheap insurance to use a potable water hose instead.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member

I havn't seen them in anything longer than 25' locally. I guess I'll have to look online.

I need 100' hose and I prefer 3/4" hoses. This is the only one I found with an acceptable review. Dang, these things are pricey.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ML7Q76?tag=260954-20
    Last edited by Dennis The Mennis; 11-24-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added a link and more info

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis The Mennis View Post
    I havn't seen them in anything longer than 25' locally. I guess I'll have to look online.
    Really easy to get hose fittings and put 2 or more together.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis The Mennis View Post
    I need 100' hose...
    What?
    Do you keep your tanks at the neighbor's garage?

Hahaha... :-) Just joking with you buddy...
    Chris Baez, Jr.

"The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult and left untried" GK Chesterton

Registered Member

Hi there, I can give you my recent experience on buying a used 125 gallon tank. I bought the tank used which included the stand (which needed work) and two Eheim 2217 filters, also a homemade light fixture which I tossed, all for $400. After a month the top corner of the seal blew out on me. Luckily it was the top 2-3 inches so it was only a small problem that could have well been a disaster. It was an older tank that needed the inside resealed but after inspection it was the seal between the panels that failed. After that I replaced it with a brand new 150 gallon. Maybe it's just my bad luck but I will never buy a used (large) tank again, for me it's just not worth the stress, just my 2 cents worth, good luck.
    Last edited by zman78; 11-24-2011 at 10:51 PM.

I can give you my recent experience on buying a used 125 gallon tank.

hmmmm......thanks for sharing that!

And while you're hunting that 75, you can help me load a 180 next Monday..at 62, they're getting heavier by the month!
    why SURE! 'just need driving directions to the "farthest outpost".......and, um, exactlywhere is the farthest outpost???

hey Dennis, DON'T order a $100 hose! check out WalMart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-50-F...-Hose/14504302

tons of great info here!
    I need to make a "new tank list" of all the things I'll need! a trip to our local big LFS is in order, just to look at a wide assortment of large tanks, really eyeball bowfronts vs traditional, etc.

I'm in Hartford Beach State Park on Big Stone Lake in Northeast South Dakota..The tank's somewhere in metro Minneapolis...200 miles each way, but it's where I shop for most of my tanks..
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

according to my calculations, you're only about 1400 miles away......perhaps I can get there in 20 hours?

I just found a 90G pre-drilled w/ stand and glass tops (nothing else) for $100. I think that's a pretty good deal.
    Eric

jealous...................!

Quote Originally Posted by shoveltrash View Post
    jealous...................!
    Jsut be patient. I might see a deal like this once every 2-3 months. Check your aquarium club sites (reef, general, and aquarium). Summer is prime time because kids moving out to go to college. Near Military bases and universities are good too.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    And while you're hunting that 75, you can help me load a 180 next Monday..at 62, they're getting heavier by the month!..cheap[ transfer pump; under 80.00 and usually has a spare impellor..
    I found a 180 in Lincoln but the guy gave me his number and never told me what he wanted for it. I haven't called yet because I don't want to hear a sales pitch. Plus I am waiting for the dream deal to pop up on a 100 or bigger.
    I did scored a 45 gallon hex with everything for $50. I am planning on making it a bare bottom tank. I was just happy it had the stand, top and light. Everything else that came with it is going to be sold or junked. Nice thing is I don't have to pick it up for a while since my buddy is selling it to me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast