AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do people like flowerhorns?

Default Re: Why do people like flowerhorns?

I've never been a big fan of flowerhorns, or any of the cichlids that develop the "kok" on their head. It looks like a giant brain tumor. Having said that, I've seen some in person that do have funny personalities. The same can be said for really large red devils.

I have a ton of fish here at my house that aren't very colorful or flamboyant, but they make up for it in interesting personalities, parental behaviors, and that kind of thing. So, to each his own.

Real Name
    Rick

I actually have a pair of King Kong Blood Parrots, many hate them I know. They were an LFS rescue for me.......GF loved them and had to have them. I can say one thing for them, they are the smartest fish with the most personality I will ever own.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I actually have a pair of King Kong Blood Parrots, many hate them I know. They were an LFS rescue for me.......GF loved them and had to have them. I can say one thing for them, they are the smartest fish with the most personality I will ever own.

Rick
    Just curious, what makes the fish so smart?

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member round flat fish's Avatar

I love how people hate on them for being hybrids. They turn their backs to the fact that their beloved domestic angelfish and discus are too. Most guppies, swordtails and platies are too.

Registered Member

Discus and angels may be line bred, but are not truly hybrids. Flowerhorns are crosses not of different strains of a species, but are crosses of a number of different species. Easier to justify dislike under those circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by H2Ochanger View Post
    Discus and angels may be line bred, but are not truly hybrids. Flowerhorns are crosses not of different strains of a species, but are crosses of a number of different species. Easier to justify dislike under those circumstances.
    +1

Registered Member

Had one that acted like a dog and would not stop banging around the tank tell I fed it and then had to pet it like a dog. He got as big as a football. I miss too him

Quote Originally Posted by H2Ochanger View Post
    This depends on who you ask. And what month it is. You know how scientist are can't decide exactly how many discus or angel species there really are. They used to consider Browns, Blues, and Greens different species and some still argue they are. If you accept they are different species then I would agree all domestics are more than likely hybrids. Besides how do you know somebody didn't cross some heckel in somewhere? Same with angels. Some scientist say there are 3 species. others think when they get everything sorted there is going to be closer to 20 angel species. If that is the case I can almost guarantee you there was some hybridizing along the way. The fact is taxonomy has a lot of gray areas so it just depends on who you ask. Personally I believe they are hybrids.
    Last edited by round flat fish; 12-04-2011 at 02:08 PM.

I personally feel there is not much good that comes out of either. Line breeding is just as bad for a species as hybridizing it IMHO. Look at all the different dogs in the world. Same species but many health issues depending on the line. Do you mean to tell me pigeon bloods are good for the integrity of the discus species? IMO is see nothing wrong with either if you want them and enjoy them good for you. The fact is once a fish has entered the aquarium setting it should never be returned to the wild. So if you follow that easy rule you should never have to worry about how natural something is or the morals behind creating your own wet pets. Whether line breeding or hybridizing is your prefered choice in creating your own wet pet. HAPPY FISH KEEPING!!

Real Name
    Rick

I personally feel there is not much good that comes out of either. Line breeding is just as bad for a species as hybridizing it IMHO. Look at all the different dogs in the world. Same species but many health issues depending on the line. Do you mean to tell me pigeon bloods are good for the integrity of the discus species? IMO is see nothing wrong with either if you want them and enjoy them good for you. The fact is once a fish has entered the aquarium setting it should never be returned to the wild. So if you follow that easy rule you should never have to worry about how natural something is or the morals behind creating your own wet pets. Whether line breeding or hybridizing is your prefered choice in creating your own wet pet. HAPPY FISH KEEPING!!
    I could not have said it better myself. Any tank bred fish, even the offspring of wilds, would not make it in the wild, nor should it ever be allowed to try. Continous line breeding could actually be more determental to the health of the fish then hybridization (ever here of the term hybrid vigor?). Now, you can love 'em or hate 'em as you choose, but to base that hatred on the fact that they are a "hybrid" is pretty weak position. Is culitvating a hybrid any different the cultivating a mutated fish, which is exactly what was done with the domesticated discus (most strains)?

Now if someone from say PETA was to come on here and make the argument against hybrids, they would have a position that was arguable, however, for someone that keeps domesticated discus to make that argument is boderline laughable.

Rick
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 12-04-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Real Name
    Rick

Just curious, what makes the fish so smart?

They can differentiate people. When I place my hands in the tank they come up and want to be petted. When someone else does it they get attacked. Also, when I clean thier tank, I move around objects to get to areas. They anticipate that and "help" me push it out of the way.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    They can differentiate people. When I place my hands in the tank they come up and want to be petted. When someone else does it they get attacked. Also, when I clean thier tank, I move around objects to get to areas. They anticipate that and "help" me push it out of the way.

Rick
    That's pretty cool! Now, I really want one.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

A lot of large Central and South American cichlids are like that, even non-hybrids. My large male parrot cichlid (not the hybrid parrot, the true parrot, Hoplarchus psittacus) always gets really feisty and pushy with me, but if unknown people come over he changes colors and sulks in the back of the tank. Most of my large male severums are hand-tame. Uaru are also incredibly smart and therefore a bit temperamental about changes in routine or surroundings.

I always say that European cars are overpriced and overrated, and I feel the same way about the FHs.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

"The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult and left untried" GK Chesterton

Real Name
    Shari

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb01 View Post
    I always say that European cars are overpriced and overrated, and I feel the same way about the FHs.
    You either love or hate them...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123