ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Grown Red Wigglers Or Blackworms?

Default Re: Home Grown Red Wigglers Or Blackworms?

Sunny, I hope you don't mind me piggybacking off your thread... I hate starting new threads when there are relevant threads available to hijack :P

Anyway, does anyone use any reptile warmers (or other warming device) for the winter? Some of the worm keepers are lucky to live in warm states, but for those of us in the frigid north, we have to have a game plan

I really want to jump in the red wiggler bandwagon, but with winter approaching I need an indoor system. I have room in the basement, but I'm a newb at this so I want to do it with the easiest way for cleaning and discard (i.e. if worm culture fails or I get lazy, I can toss it out easily and empty the bins and try again).

I'm also worried about odors (Since I'm new, I might not be maintaining it right).

??? ----------- Heating Compost in the Winter ------------ ???

So a compromise might be the garage. I was thinking of purchasing a reptile heater and placing it in the compost bin. Does anyone do this? Are there any problems with doing this? I have never owned a reptile heater, so I don't know.

I also plan to wrap the bin in foam to insulate it (on the outside) to save on electricity and as further insulation. I have a little closet in my garage that extends behind a closet in the house that might provide further insulation (my garage isn't insulated though).

Once I get the hang of it, I'll probably put it in the basement and during the summer, I'll keep a second culture outside.
    Eric

I'm trying to talk my wife into an indoor setup. I'm taking the save the planet angle because if I mention worms for fish she will veto the idea

Quote Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
    I'm trying to talk my wife into an indoor setup. I'm taking the save the planet angle because if I mention worms for fish she will veto the idea
    So what is it that your wife doesn't understand? Does she think that the worms will invade the house or what? I don't understand people who are rigid. Niether do I understand why people put unreasonable restrictions on the one who they profess to love. Of course I'm single. I wonder why?

If you have a garden, the compost that the worms present you with is the best compost on earth. I'm not into saving the planet. I just want to do the best I can for my 10 acres.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    So what is it that your wife doesn't understand? Does she think that the worms will invade the house or what? I don't understand people who are rigid. Niether do I understand why people put unreasonable restrictions on the one who they profess to love. Of course I'm single. I wonder why?
    I wonder she doesn't like the idea of 2000 worms in the house. If it were the spring it would be a non issue.

Oh well, if you are otherwise content you'll have to pass on winter worms. Personally, I wouldn't stand for it. The heater in the closet in the garage might work. Whatcha got to loose? You'll be picking through the culture and picking the ones to feed in the cold. Suit yourself.
    Mama Bear

I don't think my wife is concerned with the worms as long as I can keep them contained. She's probably more worried about the potential smell, bugs, or my kids opening it and spreading worms everywhere.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    I don't think my wife is concerned with the worms as long as I can keep them contained. She's probably more worried about the potential smell, bugs, or my kids opening it and spreading worms everywhere.
    The only thing that your wife should be concerned about is fruit flies from the vegetable waste that you save for them. If you keep your worm food covered in the fish room she has no legitamate arguement.

If the kids open the worm bin and dump the worms out, the worms will gather into a big ball in a bit of moist earth and you will be able to recover them or they will die. They're not wanders. They like to stay with their friends.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I keep mine in the basement year round to keep gnats out. Garage is gonna be really cold for them... If u don't feed them too much there will be no bad odor, just a nice earthy smell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12