AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oregon Desert Frozen Bloodworms..... ???

Default Re: Oregon Desert Frozen Bloodworms..... ???

Quote Originally Posted by JamesP View Post
    Not sure about Oregon Desert. I am curious why Skip says "candy" freeze dried Blood Worms seem to work really well when fit into a rotation of foods. Jehmco has 1 KG for $75.00. Approximate Analysis: Protein - 58%, Fat - 5%, Fiber - 2%, Moisture - 4%. Doesn't seem like candy to me.
    Jehmco also has Frozen Blood Worms, (midge larvae) 5 x 1 Kg flat pack (11 LBS) SALE $57.50 Seems like a pretty good deal.
    because FROZEN and FREEZE DRIED are two completely different things..

FROZEN LOW PROTEIN... ie Candy..

FREEZE DRIED HIGH Protein.. which is NOT what i was talking about.. since OP asked about FROZEN..

i don't use FROZEN blood worms.. ever.. what for? imho..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

I have personally ripped thropugh a 55lb case of these ODBs blood worms, Let me say they are of the highest quality. the product was imo supieroir to the hikari worms. VERY VERY CLEAN PRODUCT!!!!! thye are the best priced in Na as well
    Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post

FREEZE DRIED HIGH Protein.. which is NOT what i was talking about.. since OP asked about FROZEN..

I like the breakdown here Warlock on the bloodworms, would this same thought apply to the blackworm market as well? meaning freeze-dried are better than frozen?
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    I like the breakdown here Warlock on the bloodworms, would this same thought apply to the blackworm market as well? meaning freeze-dried are better than frozen?
    Thats interesting I would like to know that to................
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post

Just to clarify things.....a worm that is frozen and a worm that is freeze Dried has the same amount of protein...what differs is the water content....which affects the Volume and weight of the food...Think about it this way..every living thing is full of water... IF you feed based on volume and weight of food (which is pretty much what we all do) ...water content plays a major role in exactly how much protein and other nutrients are actually being fed. When you freeze Dry something, you in effect remove most water.. A cube of frozen and a cube of Freeze Dried have very different nutritional profiles because of the percent water.

A terrrestrial animal like a Human for instance is anywhere around 75% water.....I don't know how much % water an aquatic organism is.

BTW...The nutritional analysis done on foods takes into account the varying water content...as the methods used to determine these things more often that not (almost always) entail , freezing drying or dehydrating before running the analysis...So nutrition profiles are based on dry weight.

Hth,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-30-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thanks Al that is what I was referencing. Freeze dried vs frozen should not matter in overall nutrition just moisture percentage. Freeze dried is definitely less expensive to ship regardless of what kind of food it is.

Jim

Registered Member

Congratulations, Al! Well said on your explanation of frozen and freeze-dried black worms. The only thing you forgot to mention was freeze-dried is the true and only way of sterilization and elmination of any bacteria. We have always used Dan's black worms and have only had some problems with shipping, which were not his fault, but the shippers. In my opinion, the freeze-dried is the better of the two, whether black worms, blood worms. We have switched solely to your product, which I don't think can be beaten by any food. Great job, great site!

Quote Originally Posted by kiranim View Post
    Congratulations, Al! Well said on your explanation of frozen and freeze-dried black worms. The only thing you forgot to mention was freeze-dried is the true and only way of sterilization and elmination of any bacteria. We have always used Dan's black worms and have only had some problems with shipping, which were not his fault, but the shippers. In my opinion, the freeze-dried is the better of the two, whether black worms, blood worms. We have switched solely to your product, which I don't think can be beaten by any food. Great job, great site!
    Hi,
    Glad you like our Freeze Dried Blackworms and this forum..Didn't want to take away from this thread though with my explanation ...just generally inform,, please post that feedback in my sponsor Board ..., just a note here though so as to not mislead anyone... Freeze drying isn't a way to sterilize and eliminate bacteria...Its a means to preserve a food for long term storage while preserving its nutrition. While true that many organisms won't survive freeze drying...thats not the same as sterilizing and eliminating bacteria....any good freeze dried Product has to start with good material .

How about we get this thread back on track now...to Oregon Desert Frozen Bloodworms.

Thanks,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Banned

kiranim,

Freezedrying anything does not necessarily mean it is sterilized. Freezedrying does not kill all bacteria and most likely viruses. You can buy freezwdried bacteria in local fish stores and health food stores and once rehydrated are full functional.

Think about this: How would freezedrying a bloodworm increase its protein content tenfold?

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    Think about this: How would freezedrying a bloodworm increase its protein content tenfold?

Mat
    i know!!!

the protein is more concentrated since water is removed

but lets not forget ya'll.. OP was asking about Frozen Bloodworms.. comparing Hikari vs Oregon Desert..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12