ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying out high heat treatment...

Registered Member

Default Re: Trying out high heat treatment...

Thanks for the info. on tapeworms. I don't think my fish has them or else he would be eating like crazy.

On tapeworms...

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...apeworms.shtml

Its an older article I posted in our Library, but I documented with photos that should help anyone ID tapeworms.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

UPDATE: He's been really active throughout this process. Not having a filter in the hospital tank makes the water cloudy within 15-20 hrs so a major WC is necessary each day. I've been changing 90% daily with aged water for 24hrs. He does not seem phased by the WC's, but I tried feeding him some freeze dried blackworms last night without success. He ignores the food and swims back and forth with fins spread to the fullest. His color looks completely normal. No feces in the tank because I have not been feeding him. I also don't see any clear, stringy feces to speak of. I'm just amazed he won't eat with his active behavior and good color. After day five of the heat treatment I'm going to slow bring the temp down and return him to the main tank with the other discus. Perhaps he'll feel more comfortable in the presence of other discus that he'll start eating. I'm out of ideas.

internal bacterial issues...?..!
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    internal bacterial issues...?..!
    That has crossed my mind. I have some furan-2. I could try that after I take the heat down to a normal discus temp.

None of my discus ate while in heat treatment, so I think that's somewhat normal. Be patient and give your fish a few days to eat after the fish is back in the main tank.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

i always thought when heat treatment was done it was suggested 10 days. I would not worry about the fish eating, more important to continue a treatment for the full suggested durations. remember if it does have flagellates/worms a treatment may knock the numbers down but it can also take a lot longer for the fish's intestines to heal.
    I have scoped many fish with internal parasites and almost every one had very swollen white intestines, needless to say very few make it.
    furan 2 as far as I remember is not for internal bacteria.

I would at least add metro at 1/4 per 20 while the heat is up. If it were me I would go with metro and oxytetracycline
    Last edited by jimg; 12-16-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    Jim

How did things go?

Yun-

- 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member

He started picking at FDBW's last night, but spit them out. I tried bloodworms just because I know most discus won't refuse them, and he spit those out as well. I have no clue why he continues to take food and spit it out. Very frustrating. Color looks good and swimming back and forth at front of the tank, but clearly, something is still bothing him. Could his throat be swollen creating discomfort in swallowing food? I've read that can happen after having hex.

I've taken the temp down to 84 and will continue to keep him isolated in a 40 breeder with daily WC's (with aged water). I'm encouraged that he attempted to eat, so maybe he's making progress.

How long has the heat been down to 84?

Yun-

- 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member

Tonight will be day 3. The only other thing I can think of is flukes (which was mentioned early on).

Give it a couple of more days and see how he responds. After that, I suppose next course of treatment may be in order. Good luck.

Yun-

- 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member

Good news! While it's not my favorite food, he took some bloodworms last night. It's tough for discus to ignore bloodworms. He's getting more comfortable each day.

I will tell you that I've been treating with Prazi Pro and he's been emitting what I can only believe are tapeworms. I'll fully admit that I've never believed tapeworms were that common, but what's been coming out him really looks like tape worms. I've seen them shed stomach lining and the typically feces you see with Hex and this is very different. It's segmented and very thin looking. His first one came out about 12 hours after the first treatment and he's let two others out as well. I hope Prazi killed them all.

And yes, if anyone is wondering, I have fed my Piwow's live blackworms. Never again. I'm skeptical of the frozen ones too now.

Quote Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
    Good news! While it's not my favorite food, he took some bloodworms last night. It's tough for discus to ignore bloodworms. He's getting more comfortable each day.

I will tell you that I've been treating with Prazi Pro and he's been emitting what I can only believe are tapeworms. I'll fully admit that I've never believed tapeworms were that common, but what's been coming out him really looks like tape worms. I've seen them shed stomach lining and the typically feces you see with Hex and this is very different. It's segmented and very thin looking. His first one came out about 12 hours after the first treatment and he's let two others out as well. I hope Prazi killed them all.

And yes, if anyone is wondering, I have fed my Piwow's live blackworms. Never again. I'm skeptical of the frozen ones too now.
    Glad to hear that. you can continue the prazi and hopefully knock down the second thing prazi will help with.
    Jim

Hope he makes full recovery. So, you were treating with prazi at the same time heat or after the heat?

Yun-

- 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast