ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Reason Not to Ship Discus USPS

Registered Member retiredsailor's Avatar

Default Re: Reason Not to Ship Discus USPS

just a word of caution... the postal system, whether usps, ups, or fedex, watches for packages that smell wrong and will segregate your package if you send it to the postmaster. it is one of the calling cards of a terrorist package. it could wind you up in some trouble that really isn't worth it just to make a point.

ian

I have to agree, i bet you get in massive trouble where you are for sending suspect packages...You perhaps might just have to 'bite the bullet' and put it down to a bad experience and next time do it differently.

OK folks,
    I must say I was skeptical about USPS priority mail also, But, Joes Gargas who ships discus from FL to anywhere in the US via USPS priority mail for $5 (his offer is free shipping) and some change, has sent me two successful orders. The first was sitting outside when I got home from work, temp 45 degrees. The second was marked live fish keep warm (outside temp was 32 degrees) and the postman left a note to pick them up at the post office which I couldn't do until the next day. One took 3 days and the other took 5 days and they were fine. He ships them one fish per breathable bag. Each bag is the size of a hotdog and has only one shot glass of water in it. He says he has sent from FL to CA to the wrong address and got them delivered back to him in 10 days all alive. They are dime size when you get them, and in two weeks they are over quarter size. Both of my orders were $61 for 6 fish and he sends 8. I am not trying to sell discus for this guy, I am just saying "five dollars and change to ship fish", maybe you should see what's going like I did rather than say it can't be done. The option you are talking about is minimum $60 shipping. In his case that's (8) more fish for what you are recommending in shipping charges alone.
    Scott from Cincinnati Ohio

USPS Priority mail [U]usually[U] makes it there in two days.
    But, is not guaranteed.
    USPS Overnight (Express) is guaranteed, no matter what time of year.
    A lot of sellers will guarantee overnight, but not priority.

I ship all my shrimp and a few Rams by USPS. So far, no problems, but heck, it's a gov't agency, so sh*t happens....However, I use much more water, so I pay form 9.00-26.00 shipping, not 5.00...
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Did not read the entire thread but my wife works as a clerk for USPS and the one thing I wanted to add is to never, ever ship anything live right before Christmas. 1/3 of their yearly shipments happen this month. With the huge increase in traffic it is very easy for something to go wrong.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

The USPS is struggling with many budget and congressional issues. I don't foresee there service levels improving any time soon and in fact will probably get worse. I typically get all Priority Mail packages in two days. I took a chance and ordered some FD BlackWorms two days ago and it appears my package is stuck in El Paso Texas. It will be at least a three day delivery. Quality of delivery has a lot do do with how they were boxed and packed. I typically get all my discus delivered Fed Ex overnight but for other less expensive fish use Priority Mail. Have never had a DOA. Has anyone seen how Kenny packs fish. I have no doubt they could survive for several days during a mis-shipment.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Kenny's fish would survive if a bomb exploded next to the box.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

This is an amazing story!

I would have never expected any size discus to survive any longer than a day or two in a shot glass of water at those temps! 3, 5 10 days?? WOW!

Very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott293 View Post
    OK folks,
    I must say I was skeptical about USPS priority mail also, But, Joes Gargas who ships discus from FL to anywhere in the US via USPS priority mail for $5 (his offer is free shipping) and some change, has sent me two successful orders. The first was sitting outside when I got home from work, temp 45 degrees. The second was marked live fish keep warm (outside temp was 32 degrees) and the postman left a note to pick them up at the post office which I couldn't do until the next day. One took 3 days and the other took 5 days and they were fine. He ships them one fish per breathable bag. Each bag is the size of a hotdog and has only one shot glass of water in it. He says he has sent from FL to CA to the wrong address and got them delivered back to him in 10 days all alive. They are dime size when you get them, and in two weeks they are over quarter size. Both of my orders were $61 for 6 fish and he sends 8. I am not trying to sell discus for this guy, I am just saying "five dollars and change to ship fish", maybe you should see what's going like I did rather than say it can't be done. The option you are talking about is minimum $60 shipping. In his case that's (8) more fish for what you are recommending in shipping charges alone.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post

I would have never expected any size discus to survive any longer than a day or two in a shot glass of water at those temps! 3, 5 10 days?? WOW!

Very interesting!
    I also have received discus from Joe priority mail and yes they come about quarter sized in golf ball sized breather bags, wrapped in paper towels, in an insulated box. Ugly discus, superb packing LOL! It took mine 3 days and all made it and actually 2 grew up to be decent fish. I have had plecos take 5 days packed in regular bags (they also had an overnight in the local post office)

I don't think you should ship any animal in this weather if you're not prepared for some losses and aren't shipping overnight.

I'm crossing my fingers on shrimp I ordered but the seller guranteed live arrival no matter what method.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post

Very interesting!
    There's a lot to be said for the breather bags..As I use them, I'm amazed all the time...But they fall short away from tiny, rayless fish...
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

I don't think I've ever owned a fish small enough for a breather bag.

I'm impressed with the dime size discus though. Between the bag and the temperature I'd say that would equal a DOA.

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    There's a lot to be said for the breather bags..As I use them, I'm amazed all the time...But they fall short away from tiny, rayless fish...
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

I received some dime size discus from Mr. Gargas a few months ago just more out of curiosity than anything. When they got to my house they were in this little tiny insulated box enclosed were 6 + 1 (in case one died) wrapped individually in paper towels in these little tiny( I mean tiny) bags. My first thought was oh lord there all dead but to my surprise they were all alive. They are all doing very well( eating and growing like weeds) but not very pretty very very peppered but healthy all the same ok that's my expirience with USPS................Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

What I don't understand and correct me if I am wrong but, you spend the money (mostly lots of money) on what we all is one of the most delicate fish to keep and you send it 2 day or 3 day through the post office? I had a hell of a time with something 16 hours later let alone 2 days. Thats a bit too risky for me especially with the price of discus.

I hope you get yours in good condition.

Jeff
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast