AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Row Dogs

Default Re: Death Row Dogs

Too cute, Paul. Too cute.

Thanks all. I suspect the rescue organization will find the right one before too long. They have people.

A lot of the rescue dogs are coming up from the south where fewer dogs are spayed and neutered.
    Last edited by mmorris; 10-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Yes we have a lot of rescues down south... Here is a movie i made from video taken of one of my patients. She is being fostered right now for our local humane society http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GTix9uGlwoY
    ~Jaimie~

"The best doctor in the world is a veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what is the matter - he's got to just know."-Will Rogers

Lucky dog! Look at that tail go, in spite of having his leg pulled this way and that!

Yes shes a lucky girl... She was found in a ditch half starved now surrounded by love. She is a sweet girl i wish i had room for her.
    ~Jaimie~

"The best doctor in the world is a veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what is the matter - he's got to just know."-Will Rogers

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

My last shelter dog was a black lab mix pup that was "expected" to be a medium size dog. The shelter got the whole liter somehow and this little guy was the last one left, it's last sibling had just been adopted earlier in the day. The poor little guy was just lost in the now empty big pen and my wife was afraid to adopt it because it was being so docile and timid. The little guy reminded me of a black bear cub and so he was appropriately named "Bear". Bear ended up tipping the scales at just over 100 pounds at his peak before he got lymphoma at about 7 or 8.

By appearances Bear was a Black Lab/German Shepard cross, with of course who knows what else. Jet black, Lab ears (except the base stood up a bit before the laid over), Shepard sloped chest, and great disposition. The biggest food monger you've ever seen and could reach everything except the very back top of the counter top microwave. Lost a lot of food off those counter tops over the years. One day while we were at the vet before Bear got sick a small dog was their that didn't eat well and was on a very special diet. The old vet who owned the place was drinking a glass of iced tea at the time and said to the small dogs owner "Here, this is how a dog is suppose to eat." He then reached into his glass of tea, pulled out the lemon wedge, and tossed it to Bear who of course promptly chowed it down in a couple seconds.
    President - North American Discus Association

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

I'm enjoying reading your dog rescue stories! We don't have dogs but do have 4 rescued cats. Our beautiful long hair white girl, Cindy, was adopted by us from a foster lady who got her from someplace she described to me as the Depths of Hell. She was very sick but somehow survived and look at her now!
    Barb
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Disgirl; 10-18-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Why black? They are popular in the UK. We are much the same with rabbits but just have 2 atm. Marie black ears was very feral. Now shes my baby. They were very badly abused and for 4 years we could only handle her with gauntlets. She will be 10 in may.
    uploadfromtaptalk1350629966220.jpg

I live in Eastbourne - the sunniest place in Britain. That isn't really saying much...
    Coffee please - black and strong in pint mugs, for best results at least 6 a day.

Real Name
    Chris

CozyKeith, I am sorry for your loss. Bear sounds like he was a wonderful dog.

Disgirl, Cindy is beautiful. Cindy was the name of my first cat. We only have one cat right now. My German Shepherd has a super high prey drive so they have to be kept separate. When she passes we will add more cats.

damba, Since black dogs are sometimes depicted as evil in books and movies people tend to be more afraid of them. It sounds silly but often people would cross the street when I walked my 31 inch blck Lab/ German Shepherd.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

I like black dogs. As I said very popular in the UK. Strange how things differ.

I live in Eastbourne - the sunniest place in Britain. That isn't really saying much...
    Coffee please - black and strong in pint mugs, for best results at least 6 a day.

I rescued a mini rex and a mutt. They are the bosses of our cats.
    uploadfromtaptalk1350680624592.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    OC
    Visit my homestead....Discus Living with the OC

Nice bunnies
    As an aside Marie bit my thumb to the bone last night...:banghead:

Dogvet06, is there any reason why I should NOT adopt a heartworm positive dog who will get treatment prior to adoption? They told me she would need to be kept quiet for a few weeks afterwards. She's 3-5 years old and looks a bit thin.

Well have them define how they are treating her. If the is getting the three injection treatment that is the real cure. But now a lot are doing the slow kill method which is e cheap way out and isnt the best for the dog. If she is that young, there shouldnt be much dammage to her heart from the worms and should live a happy healthy normal life.
    ~Jaimie~

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Jaimie, what is the three injection treatment?
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Well the heartworm society recommends the dog be on prevention for 3 months before any injections....then the month before the first inj they have 30 days of doxycycline which weakens adult heart worms. Then they get 1 inj of immiticide which kills the adult heart worms. They go home on rest and a month later they get 2 inj of immiticide 24 hours apart with another monthh of rest. 6 months later retest. Should be negative. Immiticide is very hard to get so a lot of rescues are doing the slow kill method. But where I work isnt having trouble getting it or they know where to order it.
    ~Jaimie~

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast