AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Row Dogs

Default Re: Death Row Dogs

This is all I know at this point: 'She should be treated on Oct. 29th. We would want to keep her for another week to be sure that she handles the treatment ok and then we would release her for adoption. She would need to be on restricted activity for about 3 more weeks and then she can resume normal activity. Restricted activity means no running or really long walks.' They're putting me in touch with the foster person and I will want to know the specifics.

Sounds like they are doing injections... She may have already had the first injection and now on the two inj part or they are just doing two injections. Do you have heartworms in Ma? You def want to have her tested in 6 mo and keep her on prevention that whole time even if not needed where you are. There are baby heartworms circulating in her blood and it takes 6 mo from them to Reach the heart and become adults. These will not be killed by theinjections.
    ~Jaimie~

"The best doctor in the world is a veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what is the matter - he's got to just know."-Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvet06 View Post
    Do you have heartworms in Ma? You def want to have her tested in 6 mo and keep her on prevention that whole time even if not needed where you are. There are baby heartworms circulating in her blood and it takes 6 mo from them to Reach the heart and become adults. These will not be killed by theinjections.
    I don't know if we have heartworms in Ma. Does the prevention kill the baby heartworms in her blood?

Yes the prevention kills one of the larval stages. If u dont have them up there u may have hard time getting prevention and they may not test annually.
    ~Jaimie~

"The best doctor in the world is a veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what is the matter - he's got to just know."-Will Rogers

They are doing two injections of Immiticide, two days in a row.

should be fine...thats how we did it a few years ago and had 90% success rate at killing all adult worms. then they added the 3rd injection to make it closer to 100%
    ~Jaimie~

Real Name
    Chris

I got an urgent call today from a friend of a relative type of thing. It's a very sad situation. Parents lost their jobs, mother and kids staying with relatives, dad took off. their dog of 9 years doesn't have a place to stay and is now living in their car. She is sweet and loving but a pit bull mix so she realisticly wouldn't be coming out of any shelter alive. She is on the waiting list for several no kill foster rescues. If there is anyone in the Seattle area who is willing to foster or give this dog a home please send me a pm and I can give you the contact information.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Do all dogs create wonderful tunes on their squeekie toys, or is my dog particularly clever?

DSC08119 (Small).JPGDSC08123 (Small).JPGDSC08100 (Small).JPGDSC08106 (Small).JPG

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

She is cute Martha. What is she mixed with? Your puppy is clever like mine is squeekie squeekie .... squeekie squeekie squeekie. After a dozen squeekies time to borrow the ball.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

She's a lab with some chow thrown in. She was rescued from imminent death from a shelter in Georgia, and she's incredibly sweet.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Martha, what her name. She is as cute as can be Congrats on your new buddy
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Awe so happy for u! She looks so happy!
    ~Jaimie~

Thanks, Pat! She came with the name 'Jasmine' but she didn't know it and I didn't care for it, so I renamed her 'Petra' after an archaeological site in Jordan. Fond memories there.
    Thanks, Jaimie! I hope you are feeling better.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Very cute pooch indeed, the ears remind me of Bears. Are you expecting Petra to dig a lot of holes in the backyard?
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Chris

Congratulations Martha! Petra is adorable. She looks like she has made herself at home. My dogs squeak then shred spreading fluff everywhere. LOL

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast