AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Death Row Dogs

Default Re: Death Row Dogs

We have 6 dogs all rescued I actually was aware that if you rescue a black dog you are most likely saving there life.When we rescue we usually rescue black dogs.The biggest problem are people that get them then don't want to be bothered with them so there disposable. It would be nice if only responsible people were allowed to have pets but that's not the case if it were we wouldn't have a pet explosion because they would be spayed and neutered as needed. The funny thing is animals are forgiving unlike people and they are thrown away like garbage.

Real Name
    Rick

Congratulations Martha, but you do know, it takes three to have a pack don't you?

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks guys, and happy New Year! She is trained now to the invisible fence that surrounds my two acres and to the dog door, and she is thrilled to have the freedom. The two dogs are really attached to each other already.

6?!!! Three?!!! :O
    Last edited by mmorris; 12-31-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

Congratulations Martha!

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks Chris, and thanks for posting this thread. Anyone else adopt a rescued pet?

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

One of our 4 cats came to me from a foster home. She was 4 mo. old when we got her and the adoptive mother told me the kitten came from "The depths of Hell". She is a healthy and beautiful white longhair cat, very sweet and intelligent.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

She got lucky. Kittens at that age have a hard time finding a home. I miss having a cat. If I got one now I'm afraid the dogs would take the squeakie out of it.

Registered Member

I adopted my dog earlier in 2012. She was about 10 weeks old and chained to a fence with her sister in Daytona Beach, FL. Luckily for her, a neighbor who rescues dogs was there and took them. This is a pic from the other day

One of our three dogs is a rescue from West Virginia. I have a friend that does rescue in Maine (goes to high kill shelters and pulls out what she can) and that is how we ended up with Kramer. My friend's organization brought up a litter of Aussie/Border Collie mixes that was scheduled to be euthanized in two days (unfortunately, she left their mother). I have one, my sister has one and I helped place the other three. They were approximately 6 months old at the time, they are going to be 11 this year.

[IMG][/IMG].
    Joan

Real Name
    David

We lost our 8.5 year old English Mastiff in 2010 and our 10.75 year old German Sheppard 10 days ago. I've been considering the idea of rescuing a dog from the shelter, but REALLY want another mastiff. Maybe we'll do both...
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Southern States Mastiff Rescue - TN: https://www.facebook.com/pages/South...58253407647756

Real Name
    David

Thank you Martha.
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Real Name
    Chris

I am loving all of the stories and pictures. Your local animal shelter or Humane Society are just the top of the iceberg. Many areas have breed specific rescues.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Thumbs up Re: Death Row Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    We lost our 8.5 year old English Mastiff in 2010 and our 10.75 year old German Sheppard 10 days ago. I've been considering the idea of rescuing a dog from the shelter, but REALLY want another mastiff. Maybe we'll do both...
    so sorry for your loss David, sucks beyond measure when they die, its just not fair. dreading loosing my Rotty boy he turns 10 this year, every day is precious he is my canine soulmate

And if anyone wants to know how many rescue dogs Ihave video on home page here hehe shows me with them...
    Just a few eh? www.caninerelationships.com

And lastly just found this thread! Knew I liked you people ! Really good peeps here
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    I am loving all of the stories and pictures. Your local animal shelter or Humane Society are just the top of the iceberg. Many areas have breed specific rescues.

Chris
    Thanks to Chris for starting this thread! Both of my dogs came from breed specific rescues. They may cost a bit more than a shelter dog, but not only are they innoculated and spay/neutered, many if not all of their dogs were pulled from death row and have been living in foster homes. The foster parents can answer any questions about the dog you may have, and they will give an honest and fair assessment of the dog's personality. The fee also includes transport. I was looking at dogs on Craig's list, and two separate people offered me what I wanted for free - young adult female black labs. Neither dog was spayed or had had innoculations and both were pure breds. I estimated after vet bills it would cost me no more to get one from a rescue, and I would have a good idea of the dog's temperament to boot. Petfinder is a wonderful place to start a search: http://www.petfinder.com/
    A search just told me there are 8,917 dogs looking for a home within a 100 mile radius of me.

If you can't adopt, think about fostering. Rescues can't pull dogs from kill shelters unless they have fosters who will take one or two. http://www.petfinder.com/animal-shel...dog-fostering/

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast