AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New LED lights

Default Re: New LED lights

For the fixture...http://www.hellolights.com/70w-retrofitkithqi.aspx
    For bulbs...http://www.lightexports.com/servlet/...t-6500K/Detail

I use two fixtures on a 6' tank, and one fixture on a 4' tank.
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 01-02-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    Darrell

Vals and some swords actually are more med-high light requirement plants, at least the vals and swords that I have are.
    I do not regulate the CO2, it is really not that necessary unless your goal is the most increadable planted tank. My tanks are fish tanks with plants in them so my main focus is the health of the fish but my plants are healthy, grow well and look pretty too. Plants do release CO2 not O2 at night which can make your pH fluctuate depending on your water but it has never been a problem for me. Once you set up the CO2 take a pH reading in the evening after the lights have been on for awhile and then again in the morning BEFORE the lights come back on. The tubing I stick into the intake of my filter so the CO2 has a chance to dissolve and not escape at the surface.
    OC
    Visit my homestead....Discus Living with the OC

Vals and some swords actually are more med-high light requirement plants, at least the vals and swords that I have are.
    I do not regulate the CO2, it is really not that necessary unless your goal is the most increadable planted tank. My tanks are fish tanks with plants in them so my main focus is the health of the fish but my plants are healthy, grow well and look pretty too. Plants do release CO2 not O2 at night which can make your pH fluctuate depending on your water but it has never been a problem for me. Once you set up the CO2 and it is working (can take up to 3 days) take a pH reading in the evening after the lights have been on for awhile and then again in the morning BEFORE the lights come back on. If the pH fluctuation is too much then you will need to get the kind you can regulate.
    The tubing I stick into the intake of my filter so the CO2 has a chance to dissolve and not escape at the surface.
    OC

Wow the MH isnt that bad price wise. and looks good to boot.

And the co2 sounds good. So what do i do, just connect a pipe to my intake of my canister and let it do its thing. do the checks like you said. I still come to the problem of lighting, which seeing the MH for 100$ thats pretty good.

I got a question i notice on the newest leave of my plant the tip is skeleton like and my lights have been on for 8 hours, is it because my lights arent on enough or is it not enough light in the tank? Now the plant is still growing and its not all of the leaf its just the tip. Ill update when i see a change.

It sounds like it could be a nutrient deficency. What ferts do you use? What substrate?

I just stick the end of the airline tubing into the intake "cage" of your canister, you do not want to block it from doing it's main job of filtering the tank.
    OC

Well I have potting soil about 3" and also I used crushed white granite. The tabs of plant food i use sera florentte A. How long does the co2 in the bottle last?

I forgot about this guy in my area http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/reef-...rd-p-5587.html heres a basic MH for 70$ would this be adiquit. also if I put this on my tank would this make it a medium light tank if i had 2 of these on my tank?
    Last edited by architect1; 01-02-2012 at 11:37 PM.

I am not familiar with that type of fert, maybe someone else can help with that.
    I find the CO2 lasts about a month but it depends on how much of the ingredients you use and in what proportion. You will either get very intense CO2 production for a short period of time, or milder CO2 production for a longer period of time. If you add more sugar and yeast, the CO2 production will be more intense, while adding less of both means it will last longer.
    Last edited by Orange Crush; 01-02-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    OC

yeah the fish store pasted it on to me, and I knew i needed something. but if I did the co2 would that be enough or would i need the tablets still?

CO2 and fert tabs are two entirely diff things. You need ferts especially if you want to avoid algae from taking over.
    OC

Quote Originally Posted by architect1 View Post
    Well I have potting soil about 3" and also I used crushed white granite. The tabs of plant food i use sera florentte A. How long does the co2 in the bottle last?

I forgot about this guy in my area http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/reef-...rd-p-5587.html heres a basic MH for 70$ would this be adiquit. also if I put this on my tank would this make it a medium light tank if i had 2 of these on my tank?
    That fixture does not come with a ballast. You would have to buy that extra.
    Darrell

Yeah when i looked its about 60$ a pop. wow what drives these prices, If your not paying for the fixture, your paying for a ballast or the light. What lights are you using darrell?

Quote Originally Posted by architect1 View Post
    Yeah when i looked its about 60$ a pop. wow what drives these prices, If your not paying for the fixture, your paying for a ballast or the light. What lights are you using darrell?
    The same lights and bulbs I posted the links for in post #31.
    Darrell

Here's a picture of the 240 gal. from a few months ago....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darrell

Oh my god what a beautiful tank. I'm jealous there wilds arn't they? How often are you doing water changes? Is them the MH lights at the top? that you showed me from the site?

Yeah, all the fish in the tank are wild caught. I do 2-50% water changes per week on this tank. Yes, it has 2 of the exact 70 watt fixtures, and the 6500K bulbs I gave the links to.
    Darrell

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast