AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Frozen Blackworms and your Discus

Default Frozen Blackworms and your Discus

I have been feeding my discus frozen blackworms for about 7 weeks now. My discus and all other fish in the tank love these worms. However, I have started noticing some changes in poop (segmented and not clear) on some of my discus and three have stopped eating. I wasn't even thinking the new worms I've been feeding, but someone asked whether I was feeding any new food. I think there are at least a couple of folks in the forum who's been going through the same thing I am going through. This may just be a concidence, but wanted to see how other folks are doing feeding their discus frozen blackworms.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Default Re: Frozen Blackworms and your Discus

I too have noticed this problem with some of my albino BD's. One stopped eating with no visible signs of illness. I've been treating him with Prazi and metro. No signs of improvement. I did not connect the new food with this problem.

i don't feed it as much as i was.. usually only get one fbw feeding.. per day or other day..

mostly frozen brine, and 3 different ON flake foods..

i go in spurts on my foods.. on what i feed..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I am having similar issues also. I have stopped feeding the worms for now.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    I think there are at least a couple of folks in the forum who's been going through the same thing I am going through.
    Count me in on this same problems here. I am thinking about trying the levamisole when I get it in and see if that helps. I see every one else is trying metro or prazipro. I already tried prazipro and it didn't help my fish.
    My wife names my fish

After reading this thread that is why I am going to try levamisole next. This was posted on Skips thread about mixing levamisole.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...le-in-Paradise
    My wife names my fish

Just out of curiosity... anyone feeding live blackworms experiencing same problems? It seems odd to me that the problem exists for frozen but not live. I know Dan irradiates his freeze-dried based on what he said in another thread but not sure about his frozen.

It seems odd that frozen would cause more a problem than live.

I was about to order some live blackworms this month from a local supplier (I think they get it from Dan but not sure) so I'm curious.
    Eric

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Yup, problems with live also.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

I noticed similar poop not long after I began including live blackworms in their diet... a round of Prazi seems to have cleared it up in the QT, and in the DT, they seem to be back to normal on their own... but I am a little worried even so... am debating doing a course of metro in the DT...
    1250 bb pot-planted: twelve discus (six my babies), cardinal tetras, sidthimunki loaches, angelfish. 35 gallon hex tank: hospital
    40gallon grow out tank: snakeskin juvies

i don't feed live anymore.. i stopped that several weeks ago when i got the frozen..

i am not saying that the Blackworms are causing problem in my tanks.. right now.. they are kind of packed in due to a move i had to do.. BUT i am going to get the 6 smallest out of the tanks and put them in the 40breeder, they seem to not be as active for the food and one of them is kind of skinny.. way more so then tankmates..

or maybe even pull more out and into 0ther 40g i have.. maybe that will encourage more eating from smaller ones.. i think with the crowd they and aggression.. they are getting what they need..

i was feeding them heavily the frozen blacks.. but just slowed down.. mostly cuz i am running out.. so more flakes/tetrabits.. the deworming is due to the skinny one.. not cuz i think its the worms.. so i am not trying/endorsing a debate of Blackworms or NO blackworms..

thanks
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

I am not going to point the finger at the frozen blackworms but my problems did start soon after I began feeding them.
    My wife names my fish

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Been feedling live blackworms to my fish for the past 2 years, started feeding frozen blackworms as soon as Dan had them available. Still feeding both to my adults and juvies, no experience with any problems.
    Mark

I've been freeding the frozen worm's for the past few month's with no issue's yet. though I have noticed a lower hatch rate since I stopped feeding live worm's...
    Jay,

the reason i like discus?... is discus seem to like me.

I've been feeding the frozen black worms heavily to a group of 5 juvies from Martha that I'm growing out (over a month now). They have had regular, healthy black poops consistently and with the help of 2 massive water changes a day are growing very well. I feed the worms to almost all of my other fish as well (adult discus, BNP, cories, apistos, etc) no poop issues. The only scare I had was when I recently fed some of the freeze-dried ones and found what looked like white (dead) planaria in the aquarium. At first I thought it came out of the fish, but after thinking it through for a bit realized it was from the FD black worms. I will be watching closely for any problems, this does make me a bit nervous-especially since I have a large amount in my freezer!

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    I know Dan irradiates his freeze-dried based on what he said in another thread but not sure about his frozen.
    I remember reading where Dan said the frozen was irradiated. I wouldn't have bought them otherwise. I won't feed the live.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast