AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Frozen Blackworms and your Discus

Default Re: Frozen Blackworms and your Discus

Frozen bloodworms here. My Red Melon appears healthy but refuses to eat and hangs out by itself and has stringy white poo. Trying everything from to prazi to metro. Trying heat and antibiotics now.
    >>>> What Discus do when we're not looking.

I've fed live, freeze dried and frozen with no problems. I'm using the frozen these days. And yes, they have been irradiated.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Yun, perhaps a factor in this is how many of us have feed live blackworms recently. I for one feed live until about five weeks ago and quit due to a issue with columnaris. After I quit feeding live I continued to feed frozen. The issues I'm seeing now could be a continuance from feeding live worms. I want to believe the frozen are safe but only feeding FDBWs for the moment.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I have yet to notice any problems that I could link to feeding frozen blackworms. Most long time fishkeepers know that feeding live worms is a dance with the devil, but I see no connection to frozen or freeze dried...JMO, I ain't no rocket scientist...And I hope I'm correct, as I have fairly healthy fish at the moment..Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

This is exactly the purpose of this thread. Trying to hear from others who have fed frozen blackworms and understand what's may be going on with my fish. I never fed my fish live blackworms. I have been feeding variety of frozen food, freeze dried blackworms, flakes, and pellets. I recently started feeding frozen blackworms. Please continue to post your experiences. Thanks everyone who have posted on this thread so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Yun, perhaps a factor in this is how many of us have feed live blackworms recently. I for one feed live until about five weeks ago and quit due to a issue with columnaris. After I quit feeding live I continued to feed frozen. The issues I'm seeing now could be a continuance from feeding live worms. I want to believe the frozen are safe but only feeding FDBWs for the moment.
    Pat, that may be true. Also, what else could be possible is that, for my fish and others who have been seeing issues, something in the blackworms are triggering dormant bugs? It's stretch but just a thought.
    Last edited by YSS; 01-05-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Real Name
    Ralph

I feed Dan's frozen blackworms to 32 Discus and 4 Altums on a daily basis at least once everyday and do not notice any problems at all. I have never fed live blackworms either.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Been feeding frozen blackworms, for about a month now and haven't noticed any problems.

Pat I had been feeding mine live blackworms also but I quit that a several months before I switched to the frozen
    My wife names my fish

I've also been feeding the frozen for awhile now,at least once a day,and the only problem I've had is some of the fish I was getting to pair up stopped laying.These are my first attempts at breeding,and they are a new pair,but were on about a 1-2 week schedule,now 6 weeks nothing.But have had eggs in two other tanks,so maybe coincidence.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Honestly, I've never had problems feeding live blackworms. I have never have gotten around to trying frozen, but I've used literally 100's of pounds of blackworms over the years. I'm certainly no expert, but perhaps there were other factors involved in cases where people have had disease problems. I can only relate my personal experiences. Without sending samples to a lab, we all are just guessing.
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 01-05-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    Darrell

I grow my fry with frozen black worms and no issue until now and the only issue I get is cloudy water and make all tank so slimy
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

Real Name
    Linda

I have also been feeding the Frozen Blackworm for a couple of months as well and I also am having an issue with white poop and lack of eating. My husband and I kind of thinking the connection with the frozen blackworm as they won't even touch it now loke they did. So I'm not sure what going on but I would like some help getting them better.
    Linda
    "He is able who thinks he is able"

Registered Member

been feeding the frozen for almost a month with no problem. still like the live blackworm better.as i been feeding live to my fish for 5+ years with no problems too.
    would feed my fish only live if money and caring for them wasnt an issue. i think this thread will scare away lots of people wanting to try live/frozen blackworms now lol

I wonder if there is any link between the water parameters and the issues being seen with feeding frozen blackworms. For instance, people with hard water and higher pH are experiencing issues vs. people with softer and lower pH water or vice versa. Just wondering ....

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Here is my PH and Hardness if others having problems would like to share also

PH 7.6
    Hardness 120 ppm
    My wife names my fish

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast